Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

THE WHITE HOUSE ZONNEBEKE

petestarling

In Oct/November 1914 Lt Arthur Martin-Leake VC RAMC was awarded a bar to his VC at Zonnebeke and reference to The White House has come up in 5 Field Ambulance War Diary but I can not find an exact site. There is nothing in the ADMS war Diary.

Any ideas where it was?

Thanks.

Pete Starling

Perhaps they were referring to the White Chateau, between Ieper and Zonnebeke? There was an Advanced Dressing Station in the chateau.

Roel

Pete,

Might this be a reference to the White Chateau near Hellfire Corner, used as an advance HQ for I Corps in October 1914, although more Zillebeke than Zonnebeke

Ian

Pete,

The Trench Map Atlas is giving a second contender in the Ypres area when searched for "White House" at H 24 c 1.0 which is about 1700 metres south of the Menin Road behind Observatory Ridge. I looked at two of the maps; there is a feature called Birdkin House near this reference (100 metres) but nothing actually marked as 'White House'

The Gazeteer in Rat's Alley shows nothing for 'White House'

Ian

Forum member Aurel Sercu will be the man to give you advice on this, he helped me enormously over a problem I had with the White Chateau in Hollebeke (there were two)

You could PM him - or else hope he picks up on it by himself?

Regards, BillyH

Bill,

Yes, I did pick it up, accidentally. :-)

Pete,

I'm afraid I can't help you. At least not directly.

Just like Roel my first thought was : must be White Chateau, not White House. Roel said : between Ypres and Zonnebeke. Actually White Chateau (I don't mean the one in Hollebeke / Voormezele !) in the Menin Road, a little east of Ypres town, is far closer to Ypres than to Zonnebeke village. Hence my doubts.

I happen to know that there is mention of a White House 1 km east of Langemark centre (halfway the Eekhoutmolenstraat), but that one is a lot closer to Langemark centre than to Zonnebeke centre.

I don't have the trench map, but if someone else has : it is supposed to be on the map 20SE3 & 28N1 Poelcapelle, map square U24.

And there is also a White house I found (but I don't have the map !) 2.5 km southeast of Ypres centre, but that is even farther from Zonnebeke !

(Map 28NW4 Ypres square H24.)

And also one on the map Bixschoote. And even map Armentières etc. But those qualify even less.

Aurel

Perhaps it was not named The White House but was referred to unofficially as the white house i.e. a house that was white and marked on maps by another official name (if it had one).

All the best,

Paul.

I also linked White House to White Chateau because the chateau was used as an ADS and the "white house" was mentioned in 5 Field Ambulance War Diary.

Roel

There is a White House on map 28 SW 4 U 24, due east of Langemarck.

John

John, Billy, Roel, Ian, Steve, Paul & Aurel

Thank you all for your very useful suggestions. I will get the maps out and have another look using your suggestions.

Pete

• 1 month later...

Pete,

While trawling online found this German card which calls the 'Brickworks Villa' at Zonnebeke the 'Famous white House':

post-4061-0-13414300-1331040923.jpg

A version of the villa, purchased the other day:

post-4061-0-79331100-1331041035.jpg

An aerial with the house (as far as I can tell) marked:

post-4061-0-25903400-1331041472.jpg

Good on you,

Grant

• 2 weeks later...

Grant

Just picked this up. Thanks very much for the images. Hopefully I can now find the area.

Best wishes,

Pete

No worries, Pete, happy to have something to contribute.

Does that square discolouration need some investigation?

post-4061-0-55365500-1332321981.jpg

Seems the White House had become a smudge on the landscape by September 1917:

post-4061-0-54628000-1332322283.jpg

Roel, Grant

Thank you both very much. At least I can go to the approximate area of it.

Pete

• 12 years later...