Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Poss non-comm

simon2

Recently I submitted the paperwork for my Great Grandfather Pte F.E.Dew 1673TF 2/6th Glosters.

Whilst waiting I contacted the Cemetery just to enquire how a headstone would be erected (no headstone currently on the grave), what was

required, who would be involved etc and found out that if he is accepted for commeration they might decline a permit to erect one. The records show

even with an extension on the lease it ran out in 1989. Since then the area has been cleared of headstones (all expired leases) and only grass

left. If a headstone is erected it may intefere with the maintenance of the area.

Is this something that happens often ?

What are the options ?

Regards,

Simon.

I am fully aware the chance of the M.O.D. rejecting the application.

I think a special memorial would be erected at a location agreed between the cemetery and CWGC with wording like "Known to be buried in this cemetery", or the name would be added to a screen wall if there's already one at the cemetery

Why are they removing headstones from graves, surely even with expired leases the cemetery is a cemetery. Are they re-using the plots or planning to sell and exhume for building?

Thanks for the responses.

I think a special memorial would be erected at a location agreed between the cemetery and CWGC with wording like "Known to be buried in this cemetery", or the name would be added to a screen wall if there's already one at the cemetery

If all goes well and he is commerated then at least he will be remembered in some form. I know of two other cemeteries in Bristol that have a screen wall as suggested.

I am not sure if there is a screen wall at Greenbank Cemetery. I'll have to look into this in time and see what can be done within the cemetery.

The area where my GGF is buried is one of the oldest parts of the cemetery and over time it looks like all the headstones have become unstable or in desrepair.

They did say that after 100 years some areas are cleared of headstones and it is usual practice.As far as I'm aware the area is to stay as it is as it lies next to a wildlife

section. I hope that is correct anyway as there are 7 members of my family in the same grave the earliest burial being 1859. My GGGF took a lease on the plot (for 75 years)

in1889 and with the additional 25 years, that could have been taken, would only take it up to 1989. I might be wrong but feedback I've had is after that initial 100 years you loose

all authority over the plot. Obviously it is easier to maintain if the area is flat and there are no obstructions ie; headstones.

Simon.

Dave,

Many thanks for info I can just relax and wait now for the outcome.

Regards

Simon.