Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mesen: Reburial of an unknown New Zealand soldier

krv1974

Hi all - posting this in my official capacity as a New Zealand diplomat based in Brussels. A reburial service is scheduled for 3 February. Details in the notification below which will also be posted on the NZ Embassy website. Cheers, Keawe

The remains of an unknown soldier from the First World War were discovered during excavations of a building site in July 2011 in Mesen, West Flanders. Based on objects recovered with the remains including, unit insignia ofthe New Zealand Rifle Brigade as well as the location of the find, the remains were accepted in December 2011 as that of an unidentified New Zealand solider.

A reburial service will be held on 3 February 2012 at the Messines Ridge British Cemetery in Mesen. The service will commence at approximately 3pm. New Zealand will have a high-level delegation at the reburial. This will be led by Minister of Defence, the Honourable Dr Jonathan Coleman and includes Chief of Defence Force, Lt Gen R. R. (Rhys) Jones; Secretary of Defence, John McKinnon; and New Zealand's Ambassador to the European Union and Belgium, Vangelis Vitalis.

The reburial service is open to members of the public. Individuals wishing to attend are asked to advise the New Zealand Embassy of their intention in order to assist preparations.

When: Friday, 3 February at 3pm

Where: Messines Ridge British Cemetery,Nieuwkerkestraat, 8957 Mesen

RSVPs or queries can be directed to Mr Keawe Woodmore, First Secretary, New Zealand Embassy, Brussels (bruevents@mfat.govt.nz) or by phone on 02512 1040.

In this instance the authorities have acted with commendable speed from the date of the discovery until the dignity of burial in a war cemetery. Would that such urgency was applied to the 15 British soldiers found at Beaucamps-Ligny in 2009 and the 6 found near Comines in 2008-2010 who all still await reburial.

Norman

Keawe - thanks for posting this. May he rest in peace at last.

Hi Keawe

Thanks for posting this, have you told Grant (nzef) he will more than likely want to attend and photograph this.

post-49999-0-88758200-1326581453.jpg

Oh Wendy, If only I could...

The problem is that I don't think my wife would appreciate me getting back on a plane only a few days after arriving in NZ :-(

I wish I could be there.

• 3 weeks later...

Kia Ora , Its amazing how the story has only made the T V news here in NZ.6 oclock Sat night 4th Feb .Also the story of the Belguim girl trying to find out who her kiwi soldier g/father was.If only the name was on the back of the photo.like so many old photos .Our g/parents didnt write on the back of photos who the people were in those days.causing much confusion now. regards Charles,

Hi Charles ~ I was watching TV1 and all we got was a very short interview from Chris Pugsley and the remainder of the interview was with defence force minister Jonathan Colman talking about withdrawing the New Zealand troops out of Afghanistan!!!

Here is the TV3 interview for anyone who wants to watch it. http://www.scoop.co.nz/multimedia/tv/world/62040.html