Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Exploded Diagram of Tank Interior and Works

tipperary

I feel sure that I have seen something of that sort in a couple of booklets that were published by the tank museum. Unfortunately I don't seem able to put my hand on my copies. I'll keep on looking for a while.

Keith

Hi John. I hope i can maybe help you with this. Friends of the Lincoln Tank./ www.friends-of -the-lincoln-tank.co.uk / would be my first call. I live near Lincoln and know the members who are all smashing people, i am sure they will help if they can. Best of luck Ken

John,

Attached is somewhat of an exploded view of a Mark 1V tank showing the crew -

the text reads " 1. Commander 2. Gearsman 3. 6-pounder gunner 7. Lewis machine gunner and loader for 6-pounder.

Moving over rough ground without suspension or any means of shock absorption, and at a speed of 3.5 mph, tank crews were subjected to intense noise, vibaration, smell and high temperatures ( around 100 degrees Fahrenheit ) which compounded with cramped space produce an extremely exhausting fighting environment ".

I have also attached an exploded view of two more vehicles, which you did not ask for, but if you like such items, you may wish to file them away for future use.

A French Renault ' Mosquito ' tank.

" Equivalent to the British Whippet tank, it had inferior cross-country characteristics but a good turn of speed "

The Rolls-Royce Armoured Car.

whippet.

Rolls-Royce Armoured Car.

post-63666-0-22239600-1326247399.jpg

post-63666-0-41611200-1326247456.jpg

post-63666-0-89751300-1326247508.jpg

Thank you everyone i had a diagram in a book and just can not locate it Tom W the bbc interactive is very good again thanks lads.john

Equivalent to the British Whippet tank, it had inferior cross-country characteristics but a good turn of speed "

Unfortunately the Renault FT did not have "a good turn of speed".

Some of the appropriate Osprey books have such diagrams. The MK V one is good.

Yes the Mark V one is good, but the caption isn't. The diagram shows a Composite (aka Hermaphrodite) that was originally a Male. You can tell this from the ammunition stowage at the rear of the hull. But the caption says it's intended to represent a tank that was a Composite but had a manufacturer's number that shows it was built as a Female.

Gwyn

• 1 month later...

Where is the Rolls Royce armoured car one from? Interesting that it shows the 1920 onwards style louvred radiator doors, but the spoked wheels of the 1914 version

Where is the Rolls Royce armoured car one from? Interesting that it shows the 1920 onwards style louvred radiator doors, but the spoked wheels of the 1914 version

RobL,

The Rolls-Royce exploded diagram comes from Purnell's 8 volume set - History of World War One, ( Vol. 3 ) published in the 1970's.

I was able to scan a better copy for you.

Regards,

Leo

post-63666-0-11260800-1331503921.jpg

Anybody got such diagrams or links to same.john

John,

Mark 1V tank - exploded diagram attached.

Regards,

Leo

post-63666-0-40492400-1331511039.jpg

Had this given to me after an evening at the sergeants mess anniversary dinner for the RTR at RAF Honnington a few years ago. They also had the replica tank from the film Fly Boys parked up outside and the biggest banner with the MGC cap badge on it I'd ever seen hanging from the top window of the mess.

post-88155-0-38301400-1331555379.jpg