Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

can anybody identify this uniform?

Nerijus

Without detailed examination it has the general appearance of a French uniform, I will try to locate more information for you, can you provide a closer look at the collar numbers?

khaki

collar numbers is 127. this man is my grandmathers father Stanislovas Kasputis he was born in Lithuania. Around 1914 he serve in Russian army. later he becam germmany POW somewhere close Denmark. from this camp he escape and how my grandmather told me he go to US. I don't know it is truth. i have a few more pictures wiht him

post-86499-0-76571200-1326208204.jpg

could anyone tell me what uniform man are wearing?

The first photograph still looks to me to be very similar in style to a French uniform, the collar numbers and the kepi complete the illusion. The only possibility that a Lithuanian in a Russian army unit would be wearing it would be if he was part of the Russian Expeditionary Force that served on the Western front in France. The Regimental collar number 127 may be a Russian regimental number as its form does not look exactly French.

I understand that the Russian Expeditionary Force was equiped and uniformed by the french Army. The other photographs seem to be typical Russian POW photo's complete with arm bands and wooden clogs.The last photo in dress uniform appears to be standard Russian. I have very little research material on eastern european forces that contain photographs, the closest I got to it was a Russian serving in France. Sorry I cannot assist further, hopefully some other members with a more extensive library will be able to provide more definitive answers.

good luck

khaki