Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Inscription help?

Desmond7

A lady rang me today to ask if I could help explain a medal inscription.

I think it is of Italian origin but is in the possession of a family whose ancestor served in an Irish Regiment.

It has the following words:-

VITT. EM. III. RE. ITALIA (which I assume is the King of Italy)

and

Africa Oriental

MOLTI NEM ICE

MOLTO ON ORE

Which I assume is Latin. Help appreciated. As usual. My begging bowl is out again!

Des

'Victor Emmanuel III King of Italy' (1869-1947) on the obverse

Could be the medal for Ethiopia/Abyssinia from the 1930s, given the 'Africa ...' etc.

Is it bronze, and do you know about the ribbon? Should be bronze(d) and have a blue-black striped ribbon.

Perhaps retrieved from an Italian soldier during WW2, especially if her relation served in N Africa or Italy.

Richard

A lady rang me today to ask if I could help explain a medal inscription.

I think it is of Italian origin but is in the possession of a family whose ancestor served in an Irish Regiment.

It has the following words:-

VITT. EM. III. RE. ITALIA (which I assume is the King of Italy)

and

Africa Oriental

MOLTI NEM ICE

MOLTO ON ORE

Which I assume is Latin. Help appreciated. As usual. My begging bowl is out again!

Des

Dirty Dick is right it is the medal for Ethiopia/Abyssinia - "African Orientale" meaning "East Africa".

MOLTI NEM ICE, MOLTO ON ORE is Italian, not Latin, and should read "Molti Nemici, Molto Onore" - "Many Enemies [and] Much Honour" (sic)

Many thanks folks - I reckon they've got all the medals in a 'bag' and they've got mixed up.

Hopefully will be able to find out if they had a relative who could have 'scooped' this one in WW2!

Cheers all.

Des

Your guidance was spot on - the ancestor did indeed serve in North Africa in WW2. And I can tell you the lady was delighted with the story - if a little taken back at the start!!

Thanks lads