The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Alexander Colville Smith

AllenRSmith

Hi,

My Great Grandfather "Alexander Colville Smith" was born in 1882. There is no family memories of him having served during the war, infact no one knows if he was in the UK. He spent time in South Africa and saw action in the Bambatha Rebellion with the Royston Horse. The first written record of him being back in the UK is 1919.

If he was in the UK prior to 1914, what were the chances of him bing called up? He was a baker to trade.

any thoughts would be most welcome.

thanks

Allen

Allen

No WW1 MICs in the name of Alexander C Smith,but quite a few for Alexander Smith.

I see that there was a Queen's South Africa Medal and an Orange Free State Bar for an Alexander Smith,Trooper 949, of the 2nd Imperial Light Horse in the Anglo-Boer War.

The Bambatha Rebellion of the Zulus in 1906 seems to have no files at Kew for medals for that action,only being issued to the local South African units involved,of which Royston's Horse was one.Your man is listed as reeceiving the Natal 1906 medal for this action,here:

http://www.angloboerwar.com/south-african-units-attestation/121-natal-1906-rebellion-units/2267-roystons-horse

and you need page 35.The unit was nothing to do with the Boer War though,so don't be misled by the website address !

If you know where this soldier originated in the UK it might be worth a look in the 1911 census to see if he appears anywhere.

Sotonmate

Sotonmate

Thanks for the reply,

I new a wee bit about the bambatha rebellion, i was fortunate enough to get the medal from my Dad a few years back, Alexander also got the bar with the medal meaning he was in service for a period of more than 50 (i may be wrong) days. As the Royston horse was rasied in South Africa he must have been there prior to the rebellion. I have checked the 1911 census and there is no sign of him in Scotland maybe he stayed on in South Africa or somewhere else.

I will keeping looking and maybe somewhere i will find out or maybe i never served during the war

thanks again

Allen

Allen

You are right about the 50 days for earning the Clasp.Twenty to earn the medal.

Sotonmate

• 1 year later...

I found an article in the Aberden Journal (Patriotic Auchenblae Family) from the 13th January 1916, which states alexander and his four brothers were serving this details Alexander as joining the south African Cavalry and the infantry 15 months ago, so i guess he did serve. At the time he was home on furlough?

Allen

Not sure how to find a service record,but I have a note which says you can email the SA Military at sandfdoc@mweb.co.za for soldiers served after 1910.

Thanks Sotonmate,

i sent an email to the address yo mentioned, so lets see if i hear anythingback.

cheers

Allen

• 1 month later...

Following on from previous posts, i got in touch with a researcher in South Africa and have received the files for my Great Grandfather, i signed up with the south African infantry in 1915, arrived in France in May 1916 and went to the 10th Entrenching Battalion, then the 3rd South African Infantry. He was demobbed in May 1919 and went back to Scotland, never to return to south Africa.

There is no record of him receiving any medals, would there be a reason for this?

Allen