Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Indian Expeditionary Force "D"

11kilo

Can anyone shed any light on the Indian Expeditionary Force "D" that served in Mesopotamia (Iraq) during the Great War?

I have a double gallantry medal group (Trio MID Cross of St George 4th Class) to a Serjt Signal Service RE and both awards seem to be for services in Mesopotamia with this force yet I can find very little reference to it in my library.

I have found the odd website but nothing very substantial.

Any information greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

Indian Expeditionary Force D was the title given to the first formation into Mesopotamia in November 1914, based around 16th Indian Infantry Brigade. The rest of 6th Poona Division arrived from India soon afterwards and I believe the title was changed to "Mesopotamia Expeditionary Force" around the time of the arrival of 12th Indian Division in early 1915.

According to Arthur Barker's "The Neglected War", both 24th and 34th Divisional Signals Companies were involved with IEF D.

Stuart

Force "D" from India was, at first, composed of one infantry brigade and supporting troops. It was augmented in December by the remaining Poona Division. The supporting troops of the original Force "D" were as follows: (from Saxena's Role of the Indian Army in the First World War)

ROYAL ENGINEERS

HQ Divisional Engineers

No 17 Company, 3rd Sappers and Miners

No 22 Company, 3rh Sappers and Miners

No 34 Divisional Signal Company

No 3 Troop, Wireless Signal Section

Of course it was the original idea to simply hold the seaport at Basra.

The War Offoce in GB did not want to exploit Mesopotamia, but rather the Indian government to quell the Muslins there and awe the same in India. The rest is history.

I can give you the entire TO if you want.

Regards

DrB

;)

I received an email today that was unfortunately deleted amongst a bunch of dfisgusting spam before it could be read. It was from a member enquiring about

my forthcoming book on the Mesopotamian Campaign. The publisher and I are at present working ion the publication which should be within a few weeks. If you would contact me again (apologies for the foul-up) I will make sure of notifying you of the publication date.

Best wishes

Ron

Brendan

Glad to have caught up with you. I can't give you many details such as price at the moment but it will be published by the The Military Press. Will keep you informed.

Best wishes

Ron

• 10 years later...

Hi 11Kilo

If Signals is particularly your thing in D Force and you can get to the National Army Museum, they have a copy of "History Of The Corps Of Signals" pub. New Delhi which is a history of the entire Indian Army signalling contribution up to the Second World War.

It has a large section on Mesopotamia, and I found it a really useful and detailed overview before plunging into the various Signals WD's at Kew.

The NAM is currently undergoing some rebuilding, so I had to go to a library in Clerkenwell I think it was to read it, which is pretty good as they could just have shut up shop and ignored requests. Call the NAM in Chelsea and they'll put you onto it.

Just realised this is a 10 year old thread!!!! Do I get points for that? Must be more observant in future!!!!

Sturmers

Thanks for the useful update.

Harry