Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pt Edward Percy Graham GODDARD,

GrahamC

Hi pals

I am looking for help on tracking / approximating the Service of one my Buxton men:

:poppy: Pt. Edward Percy Graham GODDARD (born 1883 in Buxton, married to Florence, 2 children) - from his MIC did not enlist until post-1915 (no Star Medal). SDGW says "Died" 19 August 1917, buried in Outtersteene Comm. Cem. Bailleul. However, the local paper of 4 May 1918 states he "Died of wounds" at the 1st Australian Casualty Clearing Station.

Originally - Pt. 66856, Durham Light Infantry; transferred to 46425, 9/Lincolnshire Regt., before ending up as 28374, 48th Coy. Labour Corps.

If anyone can decipher from his various Service Numbers when he might have enlisted and/or transferred, where/when he was in action, I would be most grateful. I have all the obvious stuff - CWG, SDGW, Census Returns.

As often with my posts I am looking to trade on Forum members immense and diverse knowledge! :blush:

Many thanks, as always

Graham

Graham

All I can say is that 46245 was issued as a Lincolnshire number toward the end of March to mid-April, 1917.

I think your man may have been from one of the Bantam or young soldiers units like Grad 51 of the Queen's or Bedfordshire's units equivalent in the DLI. Im not 100% on that, however.

The Medal Roll, which he does not appear on, due to him being other than the Lincolnshire's, tells us that he was posted to the 9th Labour Company as were a large batch of men, some of whom were ex-DLI members. I think the 9th Labour Company re-numbered in 1917 to the 48th Company labour Corps.

DW

Graham

The 1 Aust CCS was,with our own 2 and 53 CCS serving at Outtersteene from Aug 1917 and into 1918. They buried their dead casualties in this Cemetery.

9 Lincs seem to have been a Reserve Battalion so quite likely that this soldier was attached to the Labour Company at,or near,the front.

Sotonmate

Graham

Just got to my papers.

His Labour Corps number does relate to the 9th Infantry Labour Company Linolnshire Regiment, which became the 48th Labour Company in 1917. (No.28201 - 28800)

The 9th (Reserve) Lincolnshire Battalion became the 11th Reserve Battalion on 1st September, 1916 and was mainly based in the UK. Based for a time at Brockton Camp, Cannock Chase, Staffordshire.

Just noticed on the form where the various Labour Companies are listed, "The O.C. in the schedule in the Genearl Instructions issued with A.C.I.13 of 1917 will be:- O.C.Depot Durham L.I.

There is a D.L.I. link.

Didn't spot that before.

Dick

Graham

Just having a neb through Ancestry and found a chap No.66906 Pte. James Burdett from Leicester, quite a close number to Mr. Goddard. This chap went to the D.L.I. and the 7th Labour Company. He enlised on 11/12/1915 and was mobilsed on 16/02/1917 to his unit.

Just thought that may indicate a date for his entry to the services.

DW

Hi Dick and Sotonmate

Fantastic help and many thanks for all your advice. I did look on Ancestry for similar nos. but it doesn't seem so favourable to the use of '*' and '?' as it used to.

Quite a complicated period service, but thanks to your help it seems to have some pattern now. Just need to find out where he got his wounds from which he died - think I'll look on LLT again.

Graham

• 7 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Dear @GrahamC

At last I have found you! Do you remember asking if anyone knew anything about Pt Edward Percy Graham GODDARD (posted by you 8th Jan 2012).

Well my name is Rosemary Anderson nee Goddard and he as you said died 19 august 1917. He was musician with a young wife and two little girls and he worked in the family music shop (still there in Buxton and still called The Goddard Music Shop.) Several members of the family played in the Buxton Spa orchestra and my father (in the Ilkeston Nottingham branch of the family) played the viola in the family orchestra. Brian Godard and George Goddard still work in the shop I believe. Just after your post (although 7 years later in 2019!)  a member of the Great War Forum  called @Fazakerley replied that Edward's original wooden cross grave marker along with his Memorial Plaque was currently being auctioned online in Canada by eMedals. I haven't been able to access the given address https://www.emedals.com/united-kingdom-a-rare-field-burial-cross-memorial-plaque-9th-battalian-lincolnshire-regiment to find out if the items sold and of course my family would love to obtain them. Can you help with any suggestions.

Edward's service number was apparently issued as a Lincolnshire number (46245) towards the end of March to mid April 1917. He joined the army in about February and did things in England with the army, leaving for France for the battle of Ypres just a few months before he was killed. He received his wounds at the 3rd battle of Ypres ( probably the battle of Langemark 16th-18th August 1917.) He is buried in the Communal Cemetery at Outtersteene, Bailleuil, close to where he died along with two other members of the 9th Battalion Labour corps who died on the 18th. I know these things because there is a small book called 'The Goddards of Buxton' but I don't have a copy.

best wishes,

Rosemary Anderson

@GoddardR

Rosemary,

Here are three photographs of Edward's cross, Memorial Plaque and medal letter from the Record Office. I also have a PDF of the original eMedals listing that I will post here separately.

Best,

Gary

_MG_3051.JPG

GoddardsCross.JPG

_MG_3031.JPG

@GoddardR

Rosemary,

Here's a PDF of eMedals original listing. It's not great quality, but it'll give you a sense of what they said.

Best,

Gary

United Kingdom. A Rare Field Burial Cross & Memorial Plaque, 9th Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment.pdf

• Admin

Gary, do you know if the cross made it to Great War Huts? If so, @Chief_Chum would be the man for @GoddardR to contact. 

Dear GrahamC, I'm not sure how to reply so I hope this reply reaches you.  Thank you soooo much for all the information about Edward Goddard. I am thrilled and I will be meeting several Goddard family relatives for a family lunch for my 80th birthday soon and I know they will be thrilled too. I will try to find the cross and plaque and maybe somehow get them back to Buxton.

Thank you for the wonderful job you do.