The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

No record seem to exist for Timothy Marsden in WW1

EsherSmith

Thanks for everyone who gave me such fantastic information regarding John W Marsden

On the report of his death it said his younger brother Timothy Marsden had also joined up but I cannot find one single WW1 record for him !

I did not even know of him at all !

He was 17 in 1915 when his older brother was killed and was at the time, described as a rifleman and was stationed at the Isle of Sheppey

I have re-registered because I just could not get into the site, my previous username was Alan1947

Thanks

Alan

I've found 2 men named Timothy Marsden:

Private 22758 East Lancs Regt. (SWB)

Sgt 21690 East London Regt

Could either of these soldiers be your man?

Just looking at those too - the one with the SWB enlisted 19.7.15 - does that rule him in or out? Discharged 9.4.17.

Also looking at some papers for a Private T Marsden regimental no 4907 1/4 Loyal North Lancashire who accidentally shot himself in the leg with his rifle in 1917. Can't see where it happened and can't find an MIC for him so am wondering if it is possibly the same man and he only had Home service.

ETA - I also count 6 T Marsdens in varying regiments and several with T followed by another initial.

Hello Everyone and thanks

I have looked at some on Ancestry but the one who shot himself with the initial "T" was i believe a Thom.

Is there anywhere else to look ? A lot of 'Ts' Where mentioned were they all on Ancestry ( I hope I can mention that site on this forum)

Thanks again

Yes, I believe it's perfectly OK to mention Ancestry: as far as I'm aware, it's the use of their images that's the problem if it's not your own research. That's where I was looking but it's also possible to search the National Archive records for the MICs. If you're thinking he would have been the KRRC like his brother, would there be a regimental museum to approach?

FindMyPast also hold military records but I've found them more useful for earlier enlistments, rather than anything in WW1 though it can't hurt to look: you don't have to subscribe as they do bite-sized credits and it doesn't cost anything to get the initial results.

Would you include Kings Royal Rifle Brigade it that Chris

Thanks about the other site Verrico, Find my past I will try that one

Thanks all

Hello Everyone

I have checked out every T and Timothy on all the records on Ancestry and Find My Past but unfortunately no joy.

Can anyone tell me If the records were destroyed in the WW2 fire whether there are any other records that would have been kept separately that I could get access to

Thank you all again

Would you include Kings Royal Rifle Brigade it that Chris

Thanks about the other site Verrico, Find my past I will try that one

Thanks all

From "The Long, Long trail" -

5th and 6th (Reserve) Battalions K.R.R.C.

August 1914 : in Winchester. Depot/training units, they moved on mobilisation to Sheerness and remained in this area throughout the war. In 1918 the 6th Bn was at nearby Queenborough. Both were part of the Thames & Medway Garrison.

Tony

Thanks for that Tony

The 5th and 6th (Reserve) Battalions K.R.R.C. were at Sheerness and remained in this area throughout the war, does anyone know what they did ? I think my relative was too young to go abroad and fight when he first joined up but probable not later.

Why would he not have been sent to fight at a later date ?

Thanks for that Tony

The 5th and 6th (Reserve) Battalions K.R.R.C. were at Sheerness and remained in this area throughout the war, does anyone know what they did ? I think my relative was too young to go abroad and fight when he first joined up but probable not later.

Why would he not have been sent to fight at a later date ?

I've come across many examples where men served only in the UK. Age doesn't seem always to be a factor.

The commonest reason related to failing health. Soldiers passed the initial health checks, then were rated in a lower category on re-examination. My Grandad was one such. His eyesight was deemed too poor for active service - he was lethal with a knife and fork - but he served first in the ACC and latterly in the Labour Corps.

I have a couple of MSMs for "Home Service" in my collection. In both cases they were NCOs who did essential work but whose health meant they couldn't serve overseas.

Tony

Hello Everyone

I have really had a go at sorting this out but The National Archives have no record for Timothy Marsden serving with the Kings Royal Rifle Corps in WW1. Neither has Ancestry. The other two Timothy Marsdens that have been suggested do not seem right at all.

The National Archives have about 20 Marsdens in the KRRC I WW1 but I have checked Ancestry and none come from Ilkeston.

I have checked "Ts" and Thomas's regarding this because I think the obituaries for his brother John W Marsden who died in 1915 and also served inthe KRRC said he had a younger brother called Timothy serving at Sheerness but this is probably wrong

The 1901 census has John's younger brother as Timothy and in 1911 as Thomas . So I have checked out Thomas Marsden as well with no joy.

This is also the case for their mother who has 2 different names too in the same 1901and 1911 censuses.

There was 2 different obituaries and one said his remains was returned to his fathers home and the other paper said he we retuned to his brother because his parents died in 1911 and 1912

Obviously people made mistakes in the papers and recording censuses.

Thanks again to all

Any help would be most appreciated

Cheers Alan