The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

West Yorks or RAMC

P.Rhodes

Hello Friends

Of the 3 uncles of mine, who served in WW1, one of them, Waide Reginald Worrall,enlisted [according to his MIC] in the 1st/3rd West Riding Field Ambulance, RAMC. He entered France 16/4/16 Private 147.

He later joined 8th Bn West Yorks and became 2nd Lt 405091 on 26th Nov 1917.

I have photos of him in RAMC uniform and also in the uniform of the aforementioned 2ndLt.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how he would have served, that is, was he assigned to the West Yorks from the RAMC or was it the other way round?. Was he commanded by one or the other or both? Did he treat the wounded or was he overseeing the treatment of wounded?. Would he be responsible for only West Yorks casualties or anyone and everyone including the enemy?

Or-were the two appointments unconnected?

Any help would be appreciated,

Peter

Your uncle would have applied for a post as an officer and on taking up his new post would have served as an infantry officer in the West Yorks. His file is available at the National Archives in Kew under the reference WO 374/76896.

You can register at the Archives, order up the file, and photograph it. They even have a system enabling you to use their equipment and to email the images to your own email address.

Keith

Keith

Thank you for the prompt reply, I should have guessed it was more straight forward than my explanation. What threw me is a post card [among quite a few that I have] that he sent home, stating he was 'going up to the aid post tonight' that I thought

was dated after he entered the West Yorks. I've looked again and it is clearly 1915. By the way I was mistaken when I put 1916 as his entry into France in my original post, it should have read 1915.

Thanks again, Peter

Peter,

This may be of interest an extract from a book I compiled about my home Village Parish Soldiers,

" Capt. Lawson handing the medal to Evers remarked the he and Evers joined the 2/3rd West Riding Field Ambulance together and had together 5 or 6 overseas leaves together. Any man who gained distinction in the Field Ambulance had to work for it. He congratulated Evers on having won the Military Medal in face of the fact that the Officer Commanding seldom put a recommendation forward saying that a man was only doing his duty. **

** Dr. Lawson & O Evers enlisted September 1914, discharged from the Army January 1919 Their Unit 2/3rd W. Riding Field Ambulance moved to France 12th, - 19th April 1915.

The Unit like most troops would have been involved in various trench holding duties throughout the war normal periods of 5 days in the line, 5 days in reserve 5 days rest with longer periods away from the front for training etc.,

Their history shows they were involved in the Battle of the Somme (1st July to 16th November 1916) 1st phase Battle of Albert, 2nd, Battle of Ballieul, 3rd, Battle of Pozieres 6th, Flers Courcellette. !917, 3rd Battle of Ypres, Belgium ( known as Paschendaele) Battle of Messines, Poelcappelle 1918 Battle of Lys , Battle of Kemmel, last 100 days Battle of Selle and Vallencies"

Regards Cliff.

Peter,

This may be of interest an extract from a book I compiled about my home Village Parish Soldiers,

" Capt. Lawson handing the medal to Evers remarked the he and Evers joined the 2/3rd West Riding Field Ambulance together and had together 5 or 6 overseas leaves together. Any man who gained distinction in the Field Ambulance had to work for it. He congratulated Evers on having won the Military Medal in face of the fact that the Officer Commanding seldom put a recommendation forward saying that a man was only doing his duty. **

** Dr. Lawson & O Evers enlisted September 1914, discharged from the Army January 1919 Their Unit 2/3rd W. Riding Field Ambulance moved to France 12th, - 19th April 1915.

The Unit like most troops would have been involved in various trench holding duties throughout the war normal periods of 5 days in the line, 5 days in reserve 5 days rest with longer periods away from the front for training etc.,

Their history shows they were involved in the Battle of the Somme (1st July to 16th November 1916) 1st phase Battle of Albert, 2nd, Battle of Ballieul, 3rd, Battle of Pozieres 6th, Flers Courcellette. !917, 3rd Battle of Ypres, Belgium ( known as Paschendaele) Battle of Messines, Poelcappelle 1918 Battle of Lys , Battle of Kemmel, last 100 days Battle of Selle and Vallencies"

Regards Cliff.

Cliff,

Thanks for the information, yes it is of interest, I notice that the 2/3rd WRFA entered France at the same time as 1/3rd. Would they have been from Sheffield as well?

I have quite a few post cards that my uncle sent home stamped 'on active service'. They were sent from, in no particular order:- Furnes, Neuve-Chapelle, Estaires, Calais, Vlamertinghe, Oeren, Crombeke, Hallencourt, Amiens, Albert, Acheux, Loos and Ypres. There are others also 'on active service' but humourous ones or Birthday cards to relatives etc so I've no idea where they were sent from.

By the way, I have volume one of 'The Lead Swinger' the bivouac journal of the 1st/3rd West Riding Field Ambulance. According to The Imperial War Museum, who have copies, there were three volumes but I suppose if Reg left to join the West Yorks then that would have cut him off from availability of the Lead Swinger. It was compiled by the men at the front and sent back to Sheffield to be bound into volumes. It consists of sketches and cartoons and some very poignant poems and stories, some quite enlightening and some upsetting. I'm always wondering where would be the best place for it as I think it is quite an important record. Any ideas?

Peter