The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Recalled after War ?

susan kitchen

Not sure where i should have put this question. I 've found out that a relative, being no longer fit for active service was discharged from the Army in 1916. I then find he was called for emergency service in 1921. Can anyone enlighten me as to what that was all about.

Happy New Year.

I think you'll find that he was possibly called back for the "General Strike". I seem to remember that it's been brought up before on the Forum, but many years ago, and so may not be archived.

He may well have been recalled if he had some skill that would be needed - driving a heavy lorry or a bus for example - to keep essential services going.

During the War this guy was in the Royal Field Artillery. He wasn't called up for long 15th April to 7th July 1921.

Thanks for all your replies. It's been really interesting to read them plus the links.

Hello Susan

He wasn't called up because of the General Strike, as that was in 1926.

There was industrial unrest earlier than this, in 1919 to 1922, but the most obvious possibility is something to do with the struggle for Irish independence. Several old soldiers may have been recalled as a precautionary measure, but discharged again once the treaty was signed.

Ron

Hello Susan

He wasn't called up because of the General Strike, as that was in 1926.

There was industrial unrest earlier than this, in 1919 to 1922, but the most obvious possibility is something to do with the struggle for Irish independence. Several old soldiers may have been recalled as a precautionary measure, but discharged again once the treaty was signed.

Ron

I would disagree, the short dates would suggest a response to a specific short crisis. The government of the day was in fear of an industrial dispute escalating into the establishment of a soviet, as happened in many German cities (and even in Ireland). There were attempts by some agitators to engineer this in Scotland and Wales and soldiers were recalled for short periods for preventative measures (and even in some instances tanks despatched).

There was a national coal strike in spring 1921 and reservists were called up. |They were incorporated in a short lived organisation called the Defence Corps, whose main purpose was to ensure power supplies were maintained.

Charles M

Some volunteered (the financial terms were very good) but the enlistment term was longer than Susan's relative served and they tended to be employed in Ireland and other more chronic trouble spots. Other reservists were called up for the duration of whatever emergency applied. I think Charles (as in most cases) has it right. No class struggle involved at all.

(Post edited to remove quotation of a deleted post keith)