Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

New Law Driving in France

KIRKY

I tapped my French source and he says:

Je ne sais rien de plus sur l'obligation.

Il ne faut surtout pas s'affoler... l'essentiel est de ne pas boire et de conduire en même temps.

Somebody seems to exercise "anticipatory obedience"

I already have a breath testing device, the missus!!laugh.gif

We also have little flag stickers on the dashboard, either side of the steering wheel, Union Jack on the left and Spanish flag on the right, as a quick reminder which side to keep to!

Of course, apart from the masking tape. The light bulbs are usually totally pointless these days, unless you've got a fairly elderly car, as modern headlight design makes it impossible to change them at the roadside.

cheers Martin B

(happy new year barry -- I agree with all of that)

oh and martin what makes them think that as soon as they step on a crossing they become super human , with no light on the crossings and the dark mornings/nights wearing dark clothes they step out earpieces in blinkered eyes on they go , dont worry bout that big chunk of metal coming towards us its got to stop ? or has it ?? and if you dont see them straight away they tend to moan (bit like me really)

Veklee

I think you have misunderstood. I have a three year old Renault, and to change a headlamp bulb is a garage job, certainly not five minutes at the roadside. The value of working headlamps is not in dispute.

Keith

Veklee

I think you have misunderstood. I have a three year old Renault, and to change a headlamp bulb is a garage job, certainly not five minutes at the roadside. The value of working headlamps is not in dispute.

Keith

A bulb went on my Toyota a year or two ago. I puzzled for several hours over how to remove the light to change the bulb (the handbook kindly told me which bulb to get).

Eventually, I gave up and went to the garage. The bloke there roared laughing and told me it was difficult enough for him (he took 20 minutes to get it out), and for someone who has never done it before and hasn't been shown how it would be impossible.

Veklee

Keith

?

My previous car a volvo was real pain to change the headlight bulbs and they went regularly, I got so frustrated one day I took it into Halfords where 3 young lads spent nearly half an hour negotiating it out, only to find they had changed the wrong one.

When I ceased to have a company car I stuck with Mercedes and bought an A class - huge mistake. Access to the headlight bulbs was through a small hatch in the top of the wheel arch (so itwas covered by all the gunge that collects there). Effectively needed an inspection pit or a lift to do.

The Renault's bulbs (quelle surprise) are a doddle. Lift yer bonnet and voila!

Not on my Megane coupe-cabriolet. Like the car referred to by Centurion, they have to be replaced via a panel in the wheel arch. Previously I had two Laguna's, and they were indeed a doddle.

Keith

Not on my Megane coupe-cabriolet. Like the car referred to by Centurion, they have to be replaced via a panel in the wheel arch. Previously I had two Laguna's, and they were indeed a doddle.

Keith

I've had two Renaults in my life, both nice cars but after three years the electrics started to go and anything plastic got brittle and snapped. Well designed cars c*** engineering.

The first Laguna served me for 165k miles with only one minor problem in eight years. It certainly owed me nothing. I only kept number two for three years until the mad season when cars were almost being given away with a tank of fuel following the market collapse. The discount was just too good to miss. The rear windows on this one occasionally develop a rattle with the roof down, but otherwise, approaching the end of year 3 all is good.

In fact I feel fairly confident that almost all manufacturers have improved the standard of their products these days. Does anyone make a truly awful car any more?

Keith

I've had loads of Renaults, starting with a three-speed Renault 4, followed by two more four-speeders in the UK, plus a Renault 10 for a time (which was an awful car), another R4 when I got to France, followed by a R18TS. Then I switched to Citroens for a bit and now I'm back with a Clio. Always liked French cars, probably always will. Never had a breakdown with any of them, apart from the R10, and a flat battery in the Clio, but that was my own fault.

cheers Martin B

Pleased to see parking on roundabouts is not allowed. I suppose there's no chance that French drivers will start indicating, obeying lane discipline and not bimbling on roundabouts in the near future?

You don't need to go to France to see these actions (or lack of !) just go into any UK town or city. Not even police cars indicate these days......................