Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Somme: A New History

mmckay395

Just ordered myself this little gem off amazon for not a lot of money. Can't find any reviews on the forum about it though.

Has anyone read it? Is it in a similar vein to Forgotten Victory but focusing entirely on the Somme

Mark

Hi Mark, I have not read it but Forgotten Victory to me was a disappointment and Sheffiled is someone I would approach with caution.

Best/Liam

Hi Mark, I have not read it but Forgotten Victory to me was a disappointment and Sheffiled is someone I would approach with caution.

Best/Liam

A disappointment , how come? Having read Forgotten Victory and reading reviews for his other works I hold him in very high regard. I think he has done a fantastic job of revising outdated and unsubstantiated opinions regarding the First World War. I wonder what others in the forum think?

But that's just my opinion.

The hyperbole surrounding the book had me expecting something a lot more dramatic than what he delivered ie the BEF in 1918 were a lot better (at some things) than in 1914 and went on a 'bloody' learning curve. So did every other belligerent and I would have felt that learning and adapting to conditions were part and parcel of any army in the field.

I also found more than once a selective view point, hyperbole and the lack of a proper context.

I have read both and do like Gary Sheffield's work and style, although I can see where Liam is coming from. Beyond pleasure reading for my own interests I have used both for academic work and in this yearned for more from Sheffield. Personally I prefered 'The Somme' titles by Peter Hart and Martin Gilbert, and am awaiting Middlebrook's classic 'First Day on the Somme' from Amazon as I type.

Sounds like sitting on the fence I know, so lets put it this way - would I be satisfied with Sheffield's book on the Somme alone - No

But as an introduction to the battle, possibly.

I try to get as much information on a subject of interest and make my own interpretations rather than accept all that is written (and hence have nine books on the Battle), so my advice is combine it with afew other titles for a fuller picture

Hope that helps

Best wishes

Jim

A disappointment , how come? Having read Forgotten Victory and reading reviews for his other works I hold him in very high regard. I think he has done a fantastic job of revising outdated and unsubstantiated opinions regarding the First World War. I wonder what others in the forum think?

But that's just my opinion.

Hi,

I've read sheffield's Forgotten Victory some years ago. This is the comment I then wrote in my bibliographical notes: Good book but it seems sometimes to loose himself into descriptions that are not so useful for the demonstration. I don't really have the feeling that his aim is achieved by the end of the book. Todman is in that view more to the point and precise.

"Todman", being as in Dan Todman's Myth and Memory,2005.

Marilyne

Sounds like it's useful but not an all encompassing account.

I'm currently reading Jack Sheldon's German Army on the Somme and I plan to read Sheffield's when I finish to broaden my knowledge. Bloody Victory by Philpott is burning a hole in my book shelf as well.