Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. James Frederick Hornshaw, Junr.

Terence Munson

Pte. James Frederick Hornshaw, Junr.

Lincs. 2/5th Bn. Possible Non. Comm

While looking for someone else I came across Pte. Hornshaw listed in Grimsby’s Roll of Honour 1914 - 1918 as follows:

Grimsby Roll of Honour, 1914 - 1919

Lincolnshire Regiment.

Privates

James Frederick Hornshaw, Junr. (2/5th)

I cannot find him on the CWGC Debt of Honour Register so I searched for details of his death certicate and ordered a copy which arrived yesterday - attached below.

Since then I’ve found that he is known to be buried in the church yard of St. Michael’s, Littlecoates.

At present I don’t know his service number or if his medical records exist, so if anyone can help I’d be greatful.

Terry

post-7031-0-24039800-1325805978.jpg

He seems to be this man, Terry:-

Name: James Frederick Hornshaw

Document Year: 1914

Regimental Number: 2933

Regiment Name: 5. Bn. Lincolnshire Regiment

Residence: 1 Stanstead St, Little Coates, Grimsby

Not much in the way of papers (2 surviving sets for what must be his father - one set is for an older man at the same address). "Discharged medically unfit under Para 392 sub-para XVI Kings Regulations 16.7.15". Aged 20 years 7 months when he enlisted. Service entirely at Home.

ETA going backwards brings up some medical papers: "Disability: tuberculosis [of lungs?]...early 1915 was in hospital for 23 days suffering from pleurisy...cardiac action very irregular...prolonged expectoration and high-pitched [sounds?]. Not due to military service. Weak and emaciated with advanced tuberculosis of both lungs". Considered too far advanced for sanatorium treatment. Discharged as permanently unfit.

Interestingly there is an SWB card for him, but it has a note that he was erased from the list and some sort of letter sent.

A real tragedy.

He seems to be this man, Terry:-

Name: James Frederick Hornshaw

Document Year: 1914

Regimental Number: 2933

Regiment Name: 5. Bn. Lincolnshire Regiment

Residence:

1 Stanstead St, Little Coates, Grimsby

Not much in the way of papers (2 surviving sets for what must be his father). "Discharged medically unfit under Para 392 sub-para XVI Kings Regulations 16.7.15". Aged 20 years 7 months. Service entirely at Home.

Verrico2009

Many thanks for the info. and quick response - I'm not sure if that will be enough to submit him for consideration.

Interesting that his fathers documents survive - he was the one I was looking for, he is also on the Grimsby Roll of Honour as a naval rating, and on St. Michael's memorial as Navy and 5th Lincs., and also a possible Non Comm!

Thanks, Terry

• Admin

There is an mic for him (which is an mic card but no medals shown)

James Frederick Hornshaw Pte 2933 Lincs Regiment

There is a note on the card 'SWB List F/A/1630' then a later note in a different hand and ink 'name erased therefrom

WG(?O) Letter sent ' I don't think the letter is of any great significance to us - must have been to someone at the time!

On searching the SWB Rolls he has been deleted by being struck through but shows enlistment 16/09/1914 and discharged due to sickness 12/8/1915 (which is kind of interesting - 6 days after his death). The entry confirms he did not serve overseas.

I can't find him on CWGC or SDGW either.

Ken

Ken,

Thanks for that, I'm thinking the date 16.7.15 in verrico2009's post is the discharge date

and that is only three weeks before he died.

Terry

Sorry Terry, you'll see I was adding a bit more detail.

Decent amount of papers for the father. 3674, 20250 and then 523 in the 21st (Midland) Battalion The Rifle Brigade (1915). Confirms he was previously in the Royal Naval Reserve. Can't see yet that he died, but will resume tomorrow unless someone else picks it up.

Now I really must put the iPad down!

A bit more info while I'm grabbing a bite to eat.

FJH senior did enlist in the "Lincoln Regt" on 3 February 1915, but was transferred to the 21st (Midland) Battalion The Rifle Brigade on 25 September 1915 (to 2 February 1916). All Home service. He too had [pulminary?] TB - being in hospital from 14 December 1915 to 4 February 1916.

I'll have another look later: thought I saw something about him having caught a very bad cold at some point in the medical records, but time's up for now!

The approving officer appointed FJH Snr to the National Reserve, att. 5th Lincoln.

Report dated 17 January 1916: "Man caught a severe cold in June last:..His present illness dates from Dec 14...Not result of military service. Permanent....benefited from treatment in a sanatorium..."

Case submitted 17 February 1916 and rejected. Appeal sent, mentions "man was stated to have been in "R [Nav] Res" & called up for active service 2.8.14 & served in [HMS] Authusa until 24.10.14 when went to Chatham Hosp for an operation. Afterwards volunteered for foreign service and passed three boards of [D] for foreign service. Contracted an illness in Camp. [Details of conditions]...[DGAMS] states man's present condition may be regarded as aggravated by Service since the declaration of War. Man served 21 yrs in Royal Naval Reserve discharged 3.11.14. Report of medical board 15-12-16 Total incapacity."

verrico2009,

Apologies for this delayed reply - it’s been a hectic day!

Many thanks for all the information you have posted. It's a desperately sad story of a father and son's commitment to the war effort ending so tragically. The father’s case perhaps has a chance so I will order this death certificate. If one or both are successful, your contribution will have made the difference.

JFH senior died in March 1917 aged 53, he is also known to be buried in the St. Michael’s churchyard, Littlecoates (just north of Grimsby).

I will PM you with my email address.

Thanks again,

Terry

[ If anyone from the IFTC team has any advice on these two cases it would be appreciated]

Hi Terry

I have just had a chat with Terry Denham about these 2 cases

With regard to Hornshaw Jnr the case looks good

For Senior if the DC shows TB as a cause of death then it should be good

Do you want IFCP to submit these cases for you

Do you have the grave etc

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks, I’d be more than happy for the IFCP to submit these cases for me.

I’ve applied for Hornshaw Senr’s DC and will post a copy when I collect it - while I cannot second guess cause of death

and although a tramway ran close to where he lived, I’m reasonably sure hit by a runaway tram will not be recorded!

I met with The Revd Canon Peter Mullins at St. Michael's Church, Littlecoates on Saturday. He showed me the original register of burials,

where both are recorded as buried in the churchyard but plot locations have been lost in the passage of time.

He had a copy of a survey of grave markers, done several years ago in the churchyard, but theirs were not found.

We also did a search but didn’t find them. It’s early days but if they are both accepted seems fitting perhaps that Father and Son

could share a headstone with the notation “Known to be Buried in this Churchyard” as is the case for Tom Newmarch, St. Giles, Scartho.

Cheers,

Terry

Hi Terry

We'll wait until you have the 2nd DC & proceed from there

Would the church be prepared to let you a copy of the burial register page; a photo should suffice

The tramway you mention would that have been the one that went to Immingham?

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

I'm sure photo copies of the two pages concerned will not be a problem next Saturday

on St. Michael's regular Saturday morning opening for visitors - all there have been very helpful.

Yes the tram line was between Grimsby and Immingham - built to carry the workforce and materials to

Immingham to construct the King's Dock which was completed and officialy opened by King George V in 1912.

Cheers,

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,

Here is a copy of JFH senior's DC:

post-7031-0-91167200-1327174960.jpg

and photo of burial records in St. Michael's register:

StMBurialRg.jpg

Do you need anything else?

Cheers, Terry

Terry

Both cases look good; if you could PM me then I will let you know what to do

Do either of these lads have a headstone?

Chris

• 5 years later...

Put in place today (18/05/2017). Bumped into the CWGC staff while walking round Scartho Road Cemetery where they have also replaced two broken stones. I asked if they had been to Little Coates Church and they confirmed they had been there before SRC.

20170518_145905_zpsoigfwxxv.jpg

Any news on Hornshaw Jnr?

You beat me to it, I was at Little Coates Saturday.

Unfortunately they have rejected Charles Jnr. which I thought was the stronger claim.

I've a mind to appeal the decision - but seems there is a log jam on army submissions.

Checked Samuel Gray's grave location at Scartho also, but it remains unmarked.

The other twin Charles William, DoWs and he is buried in France CWGC Link

Terry

Edited by Terence Munson
To correct a minor error

The effects registers show he was discharged 16 July 15 (indexed as 16 Jul 18). As is usual, no cause of death is noted for a man who died after discharge/

Craig

I walk round SRC every day with my dogs so as soon as Samuel Gray's headstone goes up I shall take a photo. When speaking to the CWGC staff they said his and 4 others are at the depot in Derby. They are working in the Lincolnshire area at the moment so could be in place anytime soon.

What pees me off is you see on social media of towns and cities having services and re-dedication services for the fallen, and what does Grimsby do? Absolutely nothing. The CWGC staff said they havent seen so much damage caused to CWGC headstones by the mowers as there is at SRC.They did mention something about billing them for @30k for all the damage they have caused.

Tony - Not as grand as the recent event in the City of Culture by any stretch of imagination but a MiD perhaps?

Terry

Hornshaw.jpg.dd1796b9281532e3d51e990e7b3e5201.jpg 

I'll give you that one.