Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

St Georges Church, Ypres.

dave ricketts

I understand, from various sources, that this Church has a large number of memorials, to both individuals and units. Is anyone aware whether there is a list? I've checked their Website, with no luck.

Dave

Hi, you could ask this question to the Chaplain: The Reverend Raymond T Jones from St George's Memorial Church Ypres. He is a friend of mine, send him a message to: [deleted by moderator] Best regards Laurent.

Please do not post email addresses on the Forum unless you have the owner's specific permission to do so and, if that is the case, say so in the posting. If you wish to give an email address, it is safer to email/PM it to the enquirer. Terry Denham

There is a catalogue of all the memorials, on the table at the back of the church. Dave, you need to see if someone can get you a copy of this.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks very much for that information. I am off to Ypres for the first time at the end of the month and I reckon that St. Georges is probably a must-see.

Regards,

Dave

There'll be a new one in October-to the war dead of Bury Grammar School. It's mentioned in the latest edition of the Holt's Guide, but they jumped the gun a little.

Mark,

Was that a diificult thing to organise? I am going before then, so won't have a chance to see it - I will have an excuse to go back again, although I don't need one.

Dave

Dave-not difficult to organise, although the administrative wheels of the C of E grind slow and it took a long time to receive the official approval or 'Faculty' as it is known. Ray Jones and the other people at St Georges have been unfailingly helpful

Mark,

That's good to know. It still amazes me that there is so much goodwill out there in this area.

Bob,

Cheers for that.

Dave