Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Leicestershire Regt. 1918

anthony osborne

33298 Pte Tom Wells, 8th Leicesters (formally Northants regt) led his unit into Germany (Rhine) on horse back after being selected by his officer to do so - a very proud moment for Uncle Tom. My understanding is that the 8th Leicesters were part of the 25th Division of which only 3000 men were selected to go with other divisions into Germany after the Armistice. These 3000 were those of the 25th Division who had enlisted after July 1916.I have some questions that I am hoping some experts could help me with: 1. would the cadre of the 8th Leicesters gone into Germany as the 8th Leicesters? 2. would the cadre of the 8th been used to reinforce other Leicester battalions going into Germany - as far as I can see only the 11th and possibly the 1st went to Germany - might be wrong? 3. If the the cadre of the 8th Leicesters was spread amongst other units, is there any way of finding out? Tom's medal card shows him as only serving in the Leicestershire Regiment? 4. is it possible to establish where Tom entered Germany?Any clues - as always - would be gratefully received.Ant.poppy.gifAnthony Osborne

In Memory of;

P/O Thomas John Osborne R.N. Died 26th May 1918

Pte Fred Osborne 6th Royal Berks/Army Service Corps. Wounded April 1918.

Pte Arthur Osborne Hawke Battalion. Wounded 3rd September 1918.

Gnr Ernest Harry Hart "A" Bty, 117th Brigade RFA. Killed in Action 28th September 1918.

Pte Tom Wells Northants & Leicestershire Regt.

Family not forgotten.

Good Morning Anthony,

The last entry that I have from the 8th Battalion diary is as follows,

31/5/18

FORET D'EPERNAY. On the morning of the 31st Maythe Battalion moved by march route to ETRECHY and was accommodated in billets there.

The 8th Battalion Leicestershire Regiment was reduced in June 1918, and disbanded in July 1918. The surplus was transferred to the 7th Battalion Leicestershire Regiment and the Nucleus to the 14th Battalion West Riding Regiment.

Regards. Llew.

The 8th Battalion, as noted by Llew, were disbanded before the end of the War. They were never part of 25 Division, and at their demise they were part of 21 Division. I know that 1st Battalion (and 11th?) Leicesters, as part of 6 Division, were in the Army of Occupation, arriving in Germany in December 1918.

Cheers,

Dave