The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Need help identifying!

danielcwatkins

Hey everyone!

Im a newbie and need help identifying this helmet! I was reading through the thread on identifying these helmets but ended up confused. Any help? The only stamping I see is ZR22 on the inside.

Thanks!

11cgim8.jpg

14ms2t2.jpg

Hello, Daniel - I have never seen a painted insignia like the one on your helmet, but the "ZR" code is that of an American manufacturer, while "22" indicates the batch number. Regards, Torrey

Agree with the above. Painted in the non reflective paint finish. Could it be Canadian in origin?

Dave

Daniel

The helmet is US-made. You can tell by the single round rivet attaching the strap guide lug. Canadians used British-supplied helmets, which have a bifurcated rivet. So this is almost certainly an American sign.

Regards,

W.

Thank yall for the responses!

What should I do as far as preserving this helmet? The blue paint seems to be added after the C6. Was the color on the underside of the lip a different color than the outside? If not then I assume that would be a good place to look for the original coloring. If the blue color is original, then what was the blue helmets used for? Tankers? Armor troops?

Thanks!

Daniel

• 1 month later...

So would yall remove the blue color and try and get back to the original green?

Please forgive my late reply, I've only just re-joined this forum and got a lot of catching up to do after a 6 year gap......

It would be tricky to try and remove the blue paint unless it's starting to flake of, that way, all you need is a blunt tool and carefully pick the paint off.

If you go down the road of paint stripper, you would have to work on small area's at a time to make sure it doesn't attack the original pain underneath....

I restore helmets all the time for collectors & museums.

Hope this is of some use

Dickie