Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private James Henry Finn VC

Jon Miller

Over the last couple of years, I have worked in Bodmin, Cornwall a fair few times; often enough to have discovered Finn VC estate, and also the inscription of J Finn VC on the War Memorial Plaque on the library wall. However, I have until tonight been unable to discover anything about him at all.

What changed things was putting a few details into Google, and there was one resulting link. On this site, it explained that Pte Finn's name was spelt Fynn on his attestation papers, and was never rectified. So, to CWGC and other similar organisations, he is Private James Henry Fynn VC, 4th SWB who won his VC in Mesopotamia in Sept 1916 for attending to and rescuing wounded comrades under continuous fire from the enemy only 300 yards distant. He was wounded in March 1917, and whilst in the Field Ambulance, the hospital was hit by a shell, resulting in his death, and presumably that of many of his comrades. His body has no known grave, and Pte Finn/Fynn is remembered on the Basra Memorial.

Guest AmericanDoughboy

Private Henry Fynn (Finn) was twenty two years old when his moment began, however he was to continue to serve and to be killed in Mesopotamia on my birthday (how odd) 30th March, 1917.

"On 9 April 1916 at Sanna-i-Yat, Mesopotamia, Private Fynn was one of a small party which dug in, in front of our advanced line and about 300 yards from the enemy's trenches. He went out and bandaged a number of wounded men under heavy fire, making several journeys in order to do so. Being unable to get a stretcher, he carried on his back a badly wounded man to safety."

Sketch of Private Henry Fynn (Finn) wearing his Victoria Cross:

-Doughboy

post-1-1091056769.jpg

Thanks for that, I've obviously got mixed up the dates there. I remember them saying it was April now, I think it was Sept when he received the ribbon to the VC now I come to think of it.

• 9 years later...
Guest Herstory

I have a gg Uncle Henry Finn who died also in WWI rendering aid to wounded soldiers and was killed. He was buried in France. He received the Distinguished Service Cross from the US Army. He was in the Medical Detachment 4th Infantry 3rd Division. He was the first casualty from Minot College North Dakota.