Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Gas Mask - Help Required

Dawley Jockey

Can anyone please advise me on the best way of preserving a WW1 SBR gas mask, Whats best to use etc, ?

I had the good fortune of purchasing a SBR over Christmas, It is what I class as very good condition with everything still in place, nose clip, mouth piece,straps etc. however the face mask is starting to show signs of 'drying out' although not brittle yet, I am sure it won't be long if stored at house temperature.

For anyone interested its a size 3 American issue with a yellowish coloured filter bought for the princely sum of $46 + postage.

Any suggestions welcome

I think you'll find the reluctance to comment on your request for help concerns the delicate nature of these particular items of kit, which is why a quality reproduction is the only answer if it is proposed to handle the item from time to time. Get it wrong and a great deal of irreparable damage could be done.

Because you have a dried out material to contend with, you will be hard pressed to find anything that can rejuvenate it without it having a detrimental effect on other aspects of the mask. If for instance you wanted to rejuvenate leather, something like Neats Foot Oil would work wonders for it, but try a similar approach to the interior of the mask and any such product would leach through the material and detrimentally effect the exterior.

I think if the mask was mine, I would find or create a former to support the mask, possibly a model head and carefully affix it to this, being grateful the item is still around at all.

Dave Upton

Thanks for your reply Dave,

I am thinking of putting it onto a glass head ,I have two at the moment, one with a 1918 trench cap on, so it might make a good display. The mask itself is supple enough to allow this only being 'dry' on some creases/folds where it has been stored for many a year.

'ShropshireMad'

Ha ha. You got it then Dave :)

Neil

Also got a nice KSLI silk postcard Neil .......Hee,Hee

Meh! i wanted that

I got the Bridgnorth plaque though. I'll buy you a drink next week :)

Neil

I think the only choice other than trying to keep it in a cool place, is to display it on a glass head as you mentioned.

There's nothing you can treat rubber with that will either preserve or renovate it. Whether it survives well or not seems to be entirely a matter of luck. All you can do is try and keep it out of extremes of temperature and damp/dryness. The best thing to do with an SBR is to handle it as little as possible!