Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My new No.1, MkI*** Lee Enfield

rayg

My new No.1, MkI*** Lee Enfield with additional Irish issue

Just got this serial numer matching 1903 dated, No I, Mk I***rifle from an auction. The following is what I gathered from researching about the Mk*** rifles and their Irish service as I was not familiar with them until I saw it on auction and looked up everything. I'm sure some folks here could ad some more info on it.

Anyway, the rifle appears to have all the correct arsenal updates that are normally associated with the Mk*** series, which includes some Mk III updates like stocks, (apparenty a MkIII stock was used as a wood piece was added where the Charger bridge was), rear sights and sight protector,

The rifle had traveled to Ireland post war, via British material assistance and served with the Free Irish National Army in the early 20's during their 2nd CW. The serial numbers were restamped with Irish serial numbers. Irish serial numbers have ER, CR and possibly G preceding the serial numbers.

I believe a little over 4,000 of these Irish rifles were imported to the US in the 1960's. And every once in a while they come up for sale.

I wanted a Mk I for a while because of the early features including the bolt head charger instead of the later charger bridge and the volley sights, early style front sight protector and mag cutoff so I was looking for one. The Irish connection adds a little more history to it. Of course my quest is still unfilled as I have to get an one in it's original condition and un-modified, alas, never ending quests in this hobby, Ray

post-59711-0-93394600-1325532954.jpg

post-59711-0-78670400-1325532984.jpg

• 2 months later...