Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench raiding equipment

smleenfield

OK Lads! Time to go over the top. Got your kit ready. One 1905 SMLE #1 MkI*** by London Small Arms. One Pattern 1907 hooked quillion bayonet. One modified pattern 1903 bayonet to a fighting knife. One trench mace. One nine pocket bandoleer with ammo. Ready Lads!!!!! Over the top in 5---4---3---...................

post-76104-0-32427000-1325522567.jpg

I would have thought shouting like that might have warned the Germans you were coming.

Happy New Year

TonyE

Sorry, could you speak up a little. I lost most of my hearing to a grenade. It's a bit noisy here in the trench.

:lol:

Regards

TonyE

Lost most of your grenades, too by the look of your kit. Was it going to be a very quiet trench raid? :whistle:

Perhaps they were just after a prisoner?

Nice one! I love this forum!!

I think it was normal practice to take mills bombs as a kind of currency, or bartering goods, in most well-planned trench raids. At least, they were supposed to leave their own trench with bombs and return with a prisoner or two. Prices varied from raid to raid. :thumbsup:

Gentlemen - I think there is absolutely no excuse - no matter what the level of our own knowledge - for not learning daily from this forum.

Considering the stock disc shows this rifle assigned to the Royal Engineers, I would assume we would be carrying something more potent then just a few Mills Bombs. Mills Bombs are just firecrackers to an Engineer. We're out to do some real damage. Let the rankers play with their little bombs and leave the men's work to the Royal Engineers.

You could also take your pocket SMLE to the party.

Obviously a dressing down by the RSM is in the works for your poor weapons maintenance.

Obviously a dressing down by the RSM is in the works for your poor weapons maintenance.

You don't think he'd congratulate you for creating so much less to maintain? A quick wipe with an oiled cloth and you're done!

Destruction of governemnt property is regarded as a very serious offence! All trench stores must be accounted for - remember to return all fragments of Mills bombs for salvage purposes.....

"Gentlemen - I think there is absolutely no excuse - no matter what the level of our own knowledge - for not learning daily from this forum."

To say nothing of the sheer entertainment value!!

You could also take your pocket SMLE to the party.

That is the firing mechanism for the 2 inch Trench Mortar.

Mick

That is the firing mechanism for the 2 inch Trench Mortar.

Actually, the firing mechanism for the Two Inch Medium Mortar consisted only of the Lee-Enfield bolt mechanism and chamber, which was screwed into the top of the barrel near the base. It didn't have any of the wooden stock.

This kind of shortened rifle was used in trench raids and by tunnelers. In fact, it was often called a "tunnel gun."

Actually, the firing mechanism for the Two Inch Medium Mortar consisted only of the Lee-Enfield bolt mechanism and chamber, which was screwed into the top of the barrel near the base. It didn't have any of the wooden stock.

This kind of shortened rifle was used in trench raids and by tunnelers. In fact, it was often called a "tunnel gun."

Firing something like this inside a tunnel would be unbelievable. The flash and muzzle blast would be stunning. One might just a well chuck a grenade down the tunnel.

Firing something like this inside a tunnel would be unbelievable. The flash and muzzle blast would be stunning. One might just a well chuck a grenade down the tunnel.

Hardly. None of the bullet is likely to hit anyone behind the gun whereas a grenade was a lot less picky about its victims.

It is the firing mechanism for the 2 inch mortar. Wasn't the 'tunnel gun' a fantasy piece?

post-11859-0-09867500-1325618199.jpg

A revolver would have been far more effective, I can't imagine any armourer, and they did have them, allowing a rifle to be converted and passing a piece like that.

Try firing the ruddy thing. I've fired 30-06 as a long range pistol at Bisley, and that had a 600mm heavy weight barrel, t'was fun, but that beast no-way.

G

It is the firing mechanism for the 2 inch mortar. Wasn't the 'tunnel gun' a fantasy piece?

The firing mechanism in your drawing is different from the weapon in my photo. The photo shows a weapon with a deliberately carved butt grip and a grip in front of the magazine. Enough wood has been retained on the weapon for the purpose of holding the crazy thing when shooting it. The firing device in the drawing also doesn't have a magazine. A single blank cartridge was used.

The weapon in the photo retains a magazine, has a butt grip, and a grip for holding the barrel steady. It's different than the mortar firing device.

Here's a sawed-off Moisin-Nagant rifle:

http://www.discussionworldforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34485&postcount=16

The point where the cut is made in the stock will have to be further back than the Stock Bolt, which will take it to the point in your picture. I don't believe that it would be practice to cut a rifle down to make a pistol because of the difficulty chambering another round once one has been fired. It would be a very difficult to handle one shot pistol.

I'm sorry but I think it is romantic tosh, like the Mosin-Nagant.

post-11859-0-02701300-1325664243.jpg