Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Irish Regiment 1918 and 1922

corisande

My knowledge on Royal Irish is limited, and I am struggling to find where they were between end of the war and disbandment in 1922.

I have now ascertained that a couple of Casement's men rejoined Royal Irish in Sept 1919 after giving themselves up until their periods of enlistment ended normally in 1921. Not even mentioned that they were with Casement on Service Record!

I assume that they did not serve in Ireland as posting was to 1st battalion Royal Irish rather than a depot battalion, but the service record give his posting as UK rather than overseas.

Thank you very much Tom, that is really informative. And shows very clearly where both battalions were at that time. I cannot work out what the chap I am researching was doing as he appears from his service record to have been posted to 1st Battalion Royal Irish Regt, but never outside UK from Sept 1919 to Dec 1920

1919 Sep 25. Jeremiah O'Callaghan returned to Ireland along with Michael Keogh. His record shows that he rejoined the British Army as he has a new service number 7109404 in Royal Irish Regiment (compare Keogh's new number of 7109370)

1920 Jan 1. Posted to 1st Battalion Royal Irish. He continued to serve in the British Army until Dec 1920. The 1st Battalion was at Jellalabad Barracks, Tidworth at that time.

1920 Jan 29 The 1st battalion arrived at Ohligs, Allenstein, Silesia. They were quartered at Foot Artillery Barracks, Allenstein. They were at Allenstein for the rest of his time in the army, and did not move till 1921. I am unsure, given his service record says UK posting during this period, as to where he was stationed after the battalion left for Silesia

1920 Jul 19. Sentenced to 7 days detention for drunkeness and for striking an NCO. At Chilseldon Barracks, Swindon. It is difficult to see where he was stationed and why. He seems never to have gone outside UK in this period, but 1st Battalion were in Silesia from Jan 1920 and 2nd Battaion were in India from Jan 1920.

1920 Dec 16. Leaves the Army "on expiration of his period of army service" and becomes an Army Reservist. His character during his servive with the colours is described as "fair" and "an honest, hardworking intelligent man"

If you tell me the county these lads were from I will see if I have anything on ehtme in the papers (If I have them that is).

Copy the images I posted, I am deleting them now.

Cheers.

Tom.

Let me check again, I think there may have been a 1sr (Garrison) Battalion as well.

Nope, the 1st Garrison Battalion was the First battalion.

Cheers.

Tom

Tom

Thanks again

The man concerned is Jeremiah O'Callaghan. Click for my full notes on him

Thje relevant bit is his service record - click on this link for his service record

He came from Mallow, enlisted 1913 and joined Casement's Irish Brigade after capture in Aug 1914. He was re-posted to Royal Irish in Sept 1919, and the details are on the service record

Sorry Corisande, I have not done the Cork Papers, you need Jean Prendergast ( friend her on facebook) she has all the Cork info and papers.

Kind regards.

Tom.

OK

Thanks for the help. It all helps :)

Anytime ol' buddy. When they drop the 'O' it can be a real pain. He is not in A Great Sacrifice either.

Cheers.

Tom.

1920 Jul 19. Sentenced to 7 days detention for drunkeness and for striking an NCO. At Chilseldon Barracks, Swindon. It is difficult to see where he was stationed and why. He seems never to have gone outside UK in this period, but 1st Battalion were in Silesia from Jan 1920 and 2nd Battaion were in India from Jan 1920.

Chiseldon (aka Draycott Foliat) is just down the road from me. It was a demob centre at the end of the war as well as a VD hospital.

http://www.swindonweb.com/index.asp?m=8&s=116&ss=763&t=CHISELDON+CAMP

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swindonlocal/5464029297/in/set-72157622143319159

Thanks jdoyle,

I had forgotten that you were in Swindon.

A fascinating insight into Chiseldon Camp!. I have added the info tactfully to his write up as we are not sure why he was there :)

Whether it was because of the Casement connection or just general weeding, there is virtually no detail on his service record.