Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2672 Pte James Brinelow / Brimelow from Bury

Tom A McCluskey

Hi all,

Possible non-commemoration – James Brinelow/Brimelow, 1st Bn The Black Watch

I am wondering if anyone has any reference to a grave marker or a CWGC memorial for the abovementioned soldier.

I have searched the CWGC Web Site and have found nothing relating to this soldier. He is mentioned in SDGW; he has an MIC; he is on the Bury memorial; and page 135 of Wauchope. Other details are as follows:

• MIC: Annotated Brimelow

• SDGW : Annotate Brinelow

• Born: Bury, Lancashire.

• Enlisted: Bury

• SDGW: Annotated ‘Killed in Action’, F & F, 11/11/14

• MIC: Annotated Died, 11/11/14

Has this soldier been missed by the CWGC?

Any help with this issue is much appreciated.

Aye,

Tom McC

Tom. I'm afraid that he does not appear in the Bury Times Memorial Book 1914-15 volume so I can't provide a photo or more details about him at the moment. Which Bury memorial does he appear on? The main town centre one does not list names.

I'd be interested in any further details which ou have.

Verrico,

That’s great; it looks like the man I’m after, thank you very much.

Mark,

Apologies for the wild goose chase and thank you for looking into this casualty. At a glance I thought he was on Unsworth Pole War Memorial, but he was actually one of the names on this list of casualties from Bury (link to site):

http://sites.google.com/site/unsworthpolewarmemorial/bury-soldiers-ww1

If you find out anything about this casualty, it will be much appreciated.

Aye,

Tom McC

• 2 years later...

FAO Tom

My grandmothers uncle was James Brimelow, the same person you mentioned in this thread from 2 years ago. My grandmother, now 91, is trying to find out as much about James' involvement in the army as possible, particularly around the date he was killed in action, aged 18. I have researched some information and am aware of his regiment, the RH (Black Watch) and the reports surrounding the 11th November 1914 itself but would you have access to more detailed information? Also, he is remembered on the Menin Gate Memorial, panel 37, but is he remembered on any war memorial in the UK? He was born in Elton, nr Bury but I can't track any information. Hope you can help.

Regards,

Mark

PS I have a photo of James which I can upload if you are interested. It would appear to have been taken just before he went to war.