Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Adrian Helmet

Somme1916

Hi mates,

I was pleasantly surprised to come across a chocolate brown Adrian helmet in an antique store in central Michigan (USA) this weekend. The helmet didn't have any crests on the front and I didn't see any marks to indicate that one was previously attached. Initially I thought it might have been Belgian due to it's color but with no lion crest on the front I'm not so sure. Did the French Colonial troops from African or the Foreign Legion use Adrian's that were brown? I can't even be sure of the helmet's age. Any guesses or speculations would be most welcome.

Cheers,

Jon

please jon post a picture of it.

i can tell by the colour...

Jon how did you do in Louisville?

Paul, things went well. I spent all most all the money I had allotted for the sale and I was able to add a few nice things to my collection. The most useful thing I bought was a book on U.S. Infantry Weapons of WW1. Very helpful and well written, I think the same author wrote the companion book U.S. Infantry Weapons of WW2.

Jon

Guest AmericanDoughboy

Jon,

The Belgians did indeed where khaki coloured adrian helmets which contained a lion crest placed in the front. However, the French colonial infantry wore chocolate colored khaki helmets. However, your helmet may be damaged by rust. A photograph indeed would be nice and most likely would be required for proper identification.

-Doughboy

I wish I had a picture to share but I haven't bought the helmet yet and I didn't have my digital camera with me. I'll try to get back over there this weekend.

Guest AmericanDoughboy

Jon,

As a clarification of the uniform of the "chocolate-faced" French Colonial Soldier, here is a very well known photograph of exhausted Senegalese infantry moving up to defend Verdun - 1916

-Doughboy

post-23-1091045334.jpg

Guest AmericanDoughboy

Plus, I suppose I'll also clarify the Belgian khaki uniforms of late 1916 onwards. This photograph was taken as Belgian Infantry moved up to defend what was left of the defense of Ypres in 1917.

-Doughboy

post-23-1091045919.jpg

Guest Chip Minx

Somme1916,

There were other brown Adrian helmets in WWI. The French Foreign Legion switched from Horizon Blue to brown during the war. The Russian Adrian was brown, as was that of the French colonial Chasseurs (light infantry), the Zouaves/Tirailleurs and the African mounted Chasseurs.

It should be fairly easy to tell if the helmet ever had a front plate. The liner and other construction features will divulge the model. The WWII French Adrian was also brown.

Regards,

Chip

I tried to get back to the shop yesterday before they closed but I didn't make it. I will try again this afternoon or this weekend.

If they allow me to take some photos I surly will. The helmet has it's liner and I'll be sure to take a snap of that too.

Jon

• 2 years later...
Somme1916,

There were other brown Adrian helmets in WWI. The French Foreign Legion switched from Horizon Blue to brown during the war. The Russian Adrian was brown, as was that of the French colonial Chasseurs (light infantry), the Zouaves/Tirailleurs and the African mounted Chasseurs.

It should be fairly easy to tell if the helmet ever had a front plate. The liner and other construction features will divulge the model. The WWII French Adrian was also brown.

Regards,

Chip

Going way back in previous posts I came across this one and would like to state that French Adrian helmets after 1916 were also sent to Romania has part of a WW1 War Aid effort, they turn up here with a brown paint job or in green.

post-18479-1169922344.jpg

This one has traces of the original French Horizon Blue, with traces of a Dark Brown paint job, over which seems to have been applied a Ww2 Romanian Green, these helmetswere used in WW2 by reserve troops.

They are also encountered with a FF cipher helmet badge of King Ferdinand of Romania (watch out for Fake Helmet Insignia being sold from France) :o

Kevin. :D

Inside, also showing more traces the Horizon Blue and the WW2 Green.

post-18479-1169922573.jpg

Kevin :D

And the King Ferdinand Cipher.

post-18479-1169922895.jpeg

Picture Source: very old ebay auction.

Pay particular attention to the shape of the badge.

Kevin :D