Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification required

BRONNO

Can anyone identify the three cross sleeve markings on this soldiers uniform please, he is a Robin Hood (Notts and Derby Regt) taken from a very large group photo i have, He is also wearing the Volunteer Long Service Medal,

I am also in the process of researching the three other badges which can just be seen on the right of the sleeve.

Many thanks. BRONNO.

post-30693-0-90861300-1325355329.jpg

I really have no idea about this but wonder if they are perhaps a precursor of the wound stripe. The Red Crosses (?) and the VLS medal in tandem perhaps supporting this supposition...

A well meant guess but I will be following the thread out of interest as have not seen before (must say looks a bit 1890's to me).

Suddery

They could be shooting badges as he appears to have a number on his arm. He may also be wearing a Temperence medal in addition to his Volunteer LSGC. Both were popular at the end of Victoria's reign.

In fact have a look at

http://www.colchester-rifle-club.org.uk/Tippins-Luke_and_John.htm

It shows a uniform bearing very similar badges

Sepoy

They could be shooting badges as he appears to have a number on his arm. He may also be wearing a Temperence medal in addition to his Volunteer LSGC. Both were popular at the end of Victoria's reign.

In fact have a look at

http://www.colcheste...ke_and_John.htm

It shows a uniform bearing very similar badges

Sepoy

Pretty conclusive.

Would anybody happen to know if they where a TF only badge and also when they ceased to be worn ?

Suddery

I agree with Sepoy that they are shooting badges, which at that time were generally worn on the arms (starting at upper part), although they could also spread to the chest. They were a particular feature of Rifle Volunteer Units, who often had an earlier existence as urban and rural shooting clubs.

post-599-0-36992900-1325604574.gif

Here is the upper arm from an Elcho Grey RV tunic showing shooting badges.

And the tunic in full.

post-599-0-50595000-1325606057.jpg

post-599-0-92038600-1325606115.jpg

Bruno

Having thought some more about your photograph, it might be worth your while dropping a note to the Archivist at the National Rifle Association, Bisley. ( info@nra.org.uk)

They hold records of the various competitions and may even be able to provide a name for the soldier in question....

Sepoy

Bruno

Having thought some more about your photograph, it might be worth your while dropping a note to the Archivist at the National Rifle Association, Bisley. ( info@nra.org.uk)

They hold records of the various competitions and may even be able to provide a name for the soldier in question....

Sepoy

Thank you gentlemen for your input and i will investigate further but i tend to agree that they are shooting badges awarded to men of a Rifle Company. I have since come across this silver and enamel example of a "Shooting Medal" of a very similar design, this to a Derbyshire Rifle Volunteer recipient. Regards to everyone. BRONNO.

post-30693-0-23586500-1325685631.jpg

Thank you gentlemen for your input and i will investigate further but i tend to agree that they are shooting badges awarded to men of a Rifle Company. I have since come across this silver and enamel example of a "Shooting Medal" of a very similar design, this to a Derbyshire Rifle Volunteer recipient. Regards to everyone. BRONNO.

That is very interesting BRONNO and seems to show that some of the English awards were in the form of a cross and those for Scotland show a Scottish Lion. Perhaps there were also Welsh (Dragon) and Irish (Harp) shooting badges/medals too? Canada also had its own configuration and competed very strongly at Bisley (and previously at Wimbledon) each year.