Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC Collar Insignia

cameldriver

I previously posted this question in another forum, but I think that it more appropriately should be here.

I have an RFC maternity tunic in my collection. It shows no evidence of ever having RFC collar dogs attached. I have seen many photos of RFC officers in their maternity blouses, and they seem about equally divided between having and omitting the collar insignia. Can anyone shed any light on this anomaly?

Thanks

Bob

I previously posted this question in another forum, but I think that it more appropriately should be here.

I have an RFC maternity tunic in my collection. It shows no evidence of ever having RFC collar dogs attached. I have seen many photos of RFC officers in their maternity blouses, and they seem about equally divided between having and omitting the collar insignia. Can anyone shed any light on this anomaly?

Thanks

Bob

It was regulation to have collar badges Bob, but as many of the pilots transferred over from other regiments after a period of actual flying service, it might be that those without had just not got around to purchasing the necessary badges for one reason, or another. As long as the cap badge was available, the tunic was so distinctive it was almost a badge itself, so I suspect it did not matter quite so much as it would have done in other units.

It was regulation to have collar badges Bob, but as many of the pilots transferred over from other regiments after a period of actual flying service, it might be that those without had just not got around to purchasing the necessary badges for one reason, or another. As long as the cap badge was available, the tunic was so distinctive it was almost a badge itself, so I suspect it did not matter quite so much as it would have done in other units.

Thank you, but do you think that can explain why such a large number of officers went without them?

Thank you, but do you think that can explain why such a large number of officers went without them?

All I can tell you Bob is that dress regulations required them. After that fact one can only consider why it might be that not all had them and I have already mentioned why I think that might be.

All I can tell you Bob is that dress regulations required them. After that fact one can only consider why it might be that not all had them and I have already mentioned why I think that might be.

Thanks again. I guess that explanation resolves it.

Bob

Thanks again. I guess that explanation resolves it.

Bob

I thought you might like to see these two photos Bob. The one on the left is Billy Bishop V.C.

post-599-0-24497100-1326222618.jpg

post-599-0-56857900-1326222632.jpg