Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Conflicting Service Records. Are they the same person ?

Researcher11

This service record for WW1 & the postcard home are from my grandfather William H. (Henry) Welsby. I never met him as he died in 1924, 30 years before I was born. No photos have survived of him& there is nobody left alive who can describe him.

However, I have now found more records for the year 1896 for a William H. Welsby with a different address, only a stones throw from the address on the postcard. I am trying to establish if the person whose details are given in the following post could also be my grandfather. I believe it is possible that it is, as my mum's family were all either red, sandy or auburn haired.

I would appreciate an opinion.

Thank you

Researcher 11

Picture10.png

sc0060269d-1.jpg

These are the records I have now found. My main question is: what are these records, they have a different service number than the records above, could they be the same person & if so, will there be more information somewhere ?

WO96-0200-370-001-WELSBY_WILLIAM.jpg

WO96-0200-370-002-WELSBY_WILLIAM.jpg

WO96-0200-370-003-WELSBY_WILLIAM.jpg

Have you tried the Burgess Rolls in the local library, it should show who was eligible to vote at those addresses.

Retlaw.

Sorry am just after reading the papers again and see it is 1896.It could well be the same person.

Edited by munster

Thanks for this info, I will check at our library. From other info I've been also given, I am now convinced it is the same person, my grandfather!

Thank you so much

R11