Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

POSS NON-COMM

simon2

If a serviceman had an existing condition (Army was aware on enlistment TF) but passed a medical for overseas service and that condition

was aggravated by war service (mentioned on his discharge / pension record)and subsequently died of that condition, would

there be a slight chance of being recognised and commemerated.

The condition was TB.

I'll refrain from all details (unless needed now) until I know there is a possibility.

Cheers,

Simon.

If his records say it was aggravated by his war service then there's an excellent chance he would be accepted for commemoration. Naturally, it would also have to be the case that his death certificate gave TB as the cause of death.

I find it strange that a man should be enlisted in the first place when he had a known history of TB. It was more or less incurable, debilitating and, I believe reasonably contagious.

I find it strange that a man should be enlisted in the first place when he had a known history of TB. It was more or less incurable, debilitating and, I believe reasonably contagious.

I agree.

He enlisted into the Navy in 1902 and was discharged in 1909 suffering from TB. He enlisted in the TF Gloucestershire Regiment in 1911 and went overseas

early 1916. The 'family story' goes he was gassed and that aggravated the TB. According to the Battalion diary there was a gas attack around the time he went sick

but obviuosly that doesn't prove anything.

but obviuosly that doesn't prove anything.

No, I'm afraid it doesnt.

There does need to be evidence of a linkage between cause of discharge & cause of death. I'm assuming his service file doesnt exist so there's not an easy route to this.The death certificate may make some specific reference or suggest he had been sufferingfor a period that would in with his army service (although, obviously, not to an earlier time). It may then be worth a punt at CWGC/MoD.

If you decide to get his death certificate, please contact the In From the Cold Project through our website (see my signature) and we can advise if the case looks like a runner.

John

John,

Thanks for advice.

I'll scan everything over the next couple of days and then send it over for your guidance.

Cheers,

Simon.

John,

Although the family story may be apocryphal evidence, my reading of Simon's first post was that Pension Records HAD survived and were the source of the contention that service had aggravated the TB - which if corroborated by the DC would make acceptance for commemoration that much easier.

Cher.

Andy.