The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Contemporary training manual...........

SFayers

Hi folks,

I recall some years ago seeing a 1914-18 era manual detailing the recommended layout and construction of emplacements for various British artillery weapons (RFA and RGA). Unfortunately I can't remember the title or author of this text, but it was certainly in the style of contemporary training manuals.

Have any forum members come across such a manual?

Many thanks

Steve

Artillery Positions are covered in Field Artillery Training 1914. I can scan the relevant pages for you if that will help? If so, PM me your e-mail address.

Phil

Hello Steve

The Field Service Pocket Book 1914 was reprinted in the 1970s by David & Charles. It also has a brief section, with a diagram, on t building a ypical gun emplacement.

The FSPB was a handy reference book which all officers were expected to have, containing a digest of various sections of a number of official books and regulations.

Ron

Manual of Field Engineering 1911 also has a couple of illustrations.

Very many thanks for your feedback chaps,

The manual I saw previously was specifically on the construction of various artillery emplacements (gun pits, BC posts, etc.); never-the-less all the texts you've mentioned sound like they could be useful references to me.

Phil - many thanks for your kind offer, I'll send you a PM.

Thanks again and Happy New Year to you.

All the best

Steve

Hi again Phil,

I don't seem to be able to send you a PM currently (is your inbox is full?).

If I may take you up on your kind offer, my email address is srfayers 'at' yahoo.co.uk

Many thanks

Steve