Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

can anybody identify this uniform?

razcob

This is a relative but the person that let me copy the photo only said she thinks he was her mother's cousin. I was only able to take a photo of the photo so it's not very detailed. There was no writing on the back. The only clue I have is the person might be Greek.

post-86425-0-04320000-1325169587.jpg

This is a relative but the person that let me copy the photo only said she thinks he was her mother's cousin. I was only able to take a photo of the photo so it's not very detailed. There was no writing on the back. The only clue I have is the person might be Greek.

Jack, there appear to be some similarities with the Greek uniform, especially the diagonal stripe on each forearm (see enclosed image) and the pistol furniture, although the latter was similar across several armies. The chest pocket and collar however, do not seem to fit, so it is difficult to be certain. I would suggest he has the look of a senior NCO rather than an officer and, just as in the man at left in the enclosed picture, his badge of rank appears to be on the left arm although it is very indistinct. It is also notable that your photo shows puttees as opposed to knee boots.

post-599-0-13217600-1325248946.jpg

Jack, there appear to be some similarities with the Greek uniform, especially the diagonal stripe on each forearm (see enclosed image) and the pistol furniture, although the latter we similar between several armies. The chest pocket and collar however, do not seem to fit, so it is difficult to be certain. I would suggest he has the look of a senior NCO rather than an officer and, just as in the man at left in the enclosed picture, his badge of rank appears to be on the left arm although it is very indistinct. It is also notable that your photo shows puttees as opposed to knee boots.

Thank you for your input, so far, with what you just wrote, the uniform does point to one being Greek. It is a shame I could not get more information from the person that had the photo, but that's all she knew, it came from her (deceased) mother who married a man from Greece.

Thank you for your input, so far, with what you just wrote, the uniform does point to one being Greek. It is a shame I could not get more information from the person that had the photo, but that's all she knew, it came from her (deceased) mother who married a man from Greece.

Yes, I think it could perhaps be a Greek Army uniform as worn after some time at war / in the field and so hence the puttees rather than boots.