Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where to Stay In Ypres

Morval Ross

Hi everyone.

I am a new user to the forum :D

I have visited the Somme on a number of occaision but have only been to the Salient once and that was for a day. I am going again and am torn between two hotels. The Shellhole and the Old Tom. Could anyone give me some guidence. What are the rooms like in the Shellhole and the old tom? What is parking like around the Shellhole? and where is the best place to have a drink and a chat in the evenings with other visitors?

Will be travelling with my uncle and Father from County Clare in Ireland.

many thanks

Ross.

Ross

The rooms in both places are about the same size and quality. Breakfast in the Shell Hole is 'Full English' and it is 'Continental' in Old Tom.

Parking at the Shell Hole can be difficult whereas parking at Old Tom is on the Grote Markt. Parking on the Grote Marke is free at night and on Sunday (if I remember rightly) but you pay at other times.

The beer is good in both places but you are more likely to find people too talk to in the Shell Hole.

In the Shell Hole you will also find what is probably the best collection of Great War books for sale.

Garth

Ross.

It is a while since I stayed at the Old Tom. It was a very friendly place and the food was fine as were the rooms.

The only thing I had against it was that I found it a bit noisy at night with a room facing onto the Grote Markt.

Have a good trip.

Neil

Ross

My memory of the Shell Hole is that the bar is not always open. Perhaps this has changed in the past couple of years. I always used the PostHorn.

Certainly the stocks of books, memorabilia etc is perhaps second to none.

Enjoy the trip.

Martin

The Shellhole has strengths mentioned above and a very friendly mostly UK crowd in the bar, which is, unfortunately, incredibly smoky. I still smoked 1st time there and it bothered me even then. I have nontheless gone back to meet folks.

I hope the new one has the same sort of crowd and is less smoky.

In one trip to Scotland we stayed in B&Bs every night & every single morning ate the English breakast, amazed we lived thru it! :lol:

Paul

New one?

NOt sure about those two locations, but I found Hotel Hortensia very, very nice and parking was not an issue. Its a bit further from the Grote Markt, but still within walking distance. Andy

NOt sure about those two locations, but I found Hotel Hortensia very, very nice and parking was not an issue. Its a bit further from the Grote Markt, but still within walking distance. Andy

I have stayed here twice.....ideal for the centre of Ieper. Very clean, and large rooms.............Convenient for the Ramparts..........car parking easy..........plenty of bars to go past on the way back from the Grote Markt

Paul

New one?

Yes have not been there, a guy named Phillip has opened a new one, evilandymax :angry: posted the address & phone # but I don't remember the thread, I am pretty sure he's British and I expect a lot of WW1 interested folk to be his clientele. I wish someone would visit and give us the scoop.