Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Russian Official History of WW I

5th Horseman

For those who can read Russian, a wealth of information.

For those who can't, check the maps at the end of each volume - still a wealth of information.

http://runivers.ru/lib/book3171/

My Russian is poor, but it seems to be an honest, forthright assesment by professionals meant to analyze the lessons of the war.

I don't read a word of Russian but it looks interesting. Combined with the Austrian official history which I think has the 1st volume on the net this would be most usefull. If the people who are translating der Weltkreig into English get around to the volumes dealing with the russian front would also be equaly usefull. This is because we can get the the war in the east from both sides.

If the people who are translating der Weltkreig into English get around to the volumes dealing with the russian front would also be equaly usefull. This is because we can get the the war in the east from both sides.

You're not kidding. The German version of the Battle of Skrobowa (November 9, 1916), for example, is diametrically opposed to the Russian version.

The Germans credit the 240 flamethrowers used as instrumental in achieving victory, while the Russians say the weapons' impact was negligible. It's left to the reader of both sides to make up his or her own mind.

• 9 months later...

Out of curiosity, do the Russian archives contain sufficient material for researchers to do studies on the Russian military experience and operations today? Or was it all destroyed in the Revolution/WWII &c?

• 2 weeks later...

The Russian archives contain a considerable amount of Imperial documents. Little was destroyed. Access and organization of the files are the great challenges. Researchers and writers such as Bruce Menning continue to work through the material. There is much new scholarship ongoing on the WW1 Russian Army, but one must be willing to dig. There is a major project ongoing to publish a multi-volume history of Russia in WW1 covering multiple disciplines. Only one volume is currently scheduled to cover the army.

Jeff