Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A little easy detective work

Northern Soul

Here’s a little Christmas quiz for all you sleuths out there. If you eyes are as bad as mine and you’d like to see a much larger version then visit my blog at the link in my signature (not really advertising, you understand!):

1 Battalion?

2. Rough date (months and year)?

3. Rough Location?

Best wishes to all.

Andy.

post-754-0-77669000-1325012772.jpg

Can anyone add any information on the footwear of the chap to left hand side?

Clogs! Definitely not Army-issue I should have thought.

I suspect the boots the other two are wearing are from different (civilian?) suppliers as well as they don't seem to have same hobnail pattern.

Yes, I thought clogs, so it's my guess they go a long way to indicating the date of the photo?

The chap (on the left) in clogs appears to be wearing a territorial shoulder title and also the chap on the right has the same shoulder title on his right shoulder, I think?

The cap badge could be West Yorks.? The shoulder title T/5/West Yorks or T/6/West Yorks?

The chap (on the left) in clogs appears to be wearing a territorial shoulder title and also the chap on the right has the same shoulder title on his right shoulder, I think?

The cap badge could be West Yorks.? The shoulder title T/5/West Yorks or T/6/West Yorks?

Posted on a blog about the King's Own Royal LANCASTER Regiment............... :o

Apologies, I assumed that this was a general quiz, I had not noticed your interest was in a regiment from across the border :w00t:

Unit: 1/4th or 1/5th Bn KORL :thumbsup: any closer? :whistle:

Other answers could still apply--I think?

Definately 4th King's Own...Blackpool maybe?

4th King's Own is correct; Blackpool isn't.

The answers to "where" and "when" are concealed in the photo (but you'll need to download the large version to get the clue).

.......... I had not noticed your interest was in a regiment from across the border :w00t:

I shall put your faux pas down to excessive Yuletide indulgence - although the ale(?) over there is so weak I'm surprised anyone could get intoxicated off it. However, I shouldn't really take the pi$$ out of Yorkshire beer; it needs all the flavour it can get! :P

I shall put your faux pas down to excessive Yuletide indulgence - although the ale(?) over there is so weak I'm surprised anyone could get intoxicated off it. However, I shouldn't really take the pi$ out of Yorkshire beer; it needs all the flavour it can get! :P

Sorry, but I have now lost interest in your little quiz. :thumbsup:

The base of the bottle seems to have Nicholson's on it. There was a Nicholson's brewery in Maidenhead.

I see the 5th Battalion moved to Maidenhead .... 20th September 1940

Oh well!

Taking the hint about the Niocholson's brewery in Maidenhead .... somewhere around Slough August/September/possibly October (but it looks quite summery) 1914? 1/4th KORLR on guard duty on the railway (though if I recall correctly, they were quite spread out down the line)

Ian

Correct; well done! Maidenhead area, some time between late September and early November 1914. 4th King's Own - guarding the Great Western Railway (1st/4th designation not used until February 1915).

According to Wikipedia Nicholson's was only a small brewery so Maidenhead seems most likely although, at a pinch, it could be at Slough.

The thing that struck me most was the unusual footwear. I assume that either the dress regulations on such matters in the TF weren't that strict, or at that stage in the war boots were in short supply and men were allowed to wear whatever was to hand?

Cheers.

Andy.

Yep, seems like the answers are coming in thick and fast :thumbsup:

Go away and hoot elsewhere.

From memory, didn't Territorials originally have to buy their own boots/footwear. It's too late at night to go and dig out the Territorial Force Regulations!

Ian

From memory, didn't Territorials originally have to buy their own boots/footwear. It's too late at night to go and dig out the Territorial Force Regulations!

Ian

That was something I wasn't aware of........and it would explain it perfectly.

Cheers.

Andy.