Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mine shafts - where are they?

robertlarbey

I'm thinking of the tunnels around Messines, Ontario Farm in particular, in or before June 1917. Where do the tunnels start and go from and to?

Thanks!

Bob

Bob,

I am currently reading a book entitled "Crumps and camouflets" which is a history of the Australian tunnellers in and around Messines

and I am sure it has maps of tunnel locations in it. Unfortunately I am away on hols and will be away until the end of the week. If you don't

get a reply by then will have a look up for you.

Thanks David, that's would be great. If it helps, I know it's the 171st Tunnellers who dug it.

Bob

Bob,

I am currently reading a book entitled "Crumps and camouflets" which is a history of the Australian tunnellers in and around Messines

and I am sure it has maps of tunnel locations in it. Unfortunately I am away on hols and will be away until the end of the week. If you don't

get a reply by then will have a look up for you.

Bob,

I recall from this book that there were a lot of interaction between the English and Australian tunnellers in the Messines area. The book

talks about a fascinating subject and one of the few warries that have got my attention during the past year or so. I only wish I had bought it

with me, but had other priorities at the time.

Hi :)

Some fascinating(? :wacko: ) facts, slightly off topic but indispensable if you're in a Pub Quiz team and the subject comes up :)

Ontario Farm Mine:

Date of Commencement: 28/1/17

Date of Completion of Charging: 5/6/17

Depth of Charge: 103 feet

Charge in lbs; 60,000

Method of Firing: Exploder

Crater Diameter at ground Level: 250 ft

Width of Rim: 10 ft

Depth Below Ground Level: Almost nil

Height of Rim: 4 ft

Diameter of Complete Obliteration: 220 ft

Length of Gallery: 1290 ft

Details from Work of RE in the European War Military Mining

Bob,

I haven't' forgotten, will be able to get back to you with something on Friday morning (UK time) - I am in Oz, when I return from hols.

Cheers

Bob,

I have had a thorough look over the book Crumps and Camouflets and unfortunately it doesn't appear to mention anything mthat you are interested in.

The only reference to British T/c's was the units involved - 170 to 185 and 251 to 258 tunnelling companies. I think the reason why there is no mention of

your interest is that the Australian t/c's appeared to be working in a different area to that of Messines, i.e. in the Loos sector around hill 70, with the British

t/c's working around Messines and the hill 60 area.

I am sorry not to have been of any help, and note Connaughtrangers input which looks to be quite useful.

Bob,

Thge details of the book are - Crumps and Camouflets by Damien Finlayson, first published in Australia in 2010 by Big Sky Publishing

ISBN 9780980658255 (hbk). The e-mail address of thepublishers is info@bigskypublishing.com.au.

I can't give you a price (it was a prezzy and the sticker removed :whistle: ) but I would estimate it to be in the 30 pounds (UK) range.

Cheers & HNY

Bob

Not an expert in this field but the 1st Australian Tunnelling Co were at Hill 60 (& Battle Wood) in June 1917. I have their War Dairy on a spreadsheet plus a detailed coloured map of the mines and trenches.

Maybe someone will confirm who drove the Ontario Farm Crater. A few details are here

http://ypres1917.3.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=641&st=30

Bernard