Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC Records

DCLI

I have just managed to download two MIC of relatives. At the moment, it was a complete waste of time and money.

One relative (grandfather) was given an incorrect rank. He was listed as a private, while I have photos of him with his corporal stripes. I also have his commendation (as read out by the presenting general) and he was a Lance Corporal then. And he was missing a medal, an MM. 14511, Cpl Bertram Johnson, DCLI.

He was tranferred to the Labour Corp after being seriously wounded on the Somme. There is no mention of a War Badge either.

The other ralative (great uncle), was awarded the BWM and VM, although he was eligible (and I have photos of him wearing them) for the Queens South Africa Medal, a 1914 Star with Clasp and a Long Service Medal. RSM or WOll, William Finch, DCLI. This man was a professional soldier for over 20 years.

There were two cards for my granfather but only one for my great uncle.

I am very unimpressed with the system. Do I have to go elsewhere and pay more money to download yet more files?

Any ideas?

regards

Anthony

The MM would not necessarily be recorded on the MiC their purpose was to record the details of Campaign Medals awarded for the 1914~1918 War Only[Though they do sometimes mention TEFMs etc,which have their own Index Cards as does the MM/DCM/MSM];they would not record QSA/KSA [or LSGC which were awarded subject to A/O]to find QSAs etc you would either need to access Service Records pre 1913[if he was discharged prior to that date & subsequently Recalled /Re~Enlisted; or post WW1 Record of Service if it survives,if his service was continuous,OR the actual WW1 Medal Rolls[from the Numbers given on the MICs],the rank shown on the MIC is his Rank as @ 11/11/18,he may well have been L/Cpl/Cpl during the War but reverted to Private in 1918,the Medal Roll pages would /or might show these changes;if he was awarded a SWB I am surprised it is not recorded,usually as "SWB/then the Code for the roll pages" etc,perhaps he wasnt,If he remained with the Labour Corps he might have been considered fit enough to continue in the Services,Also NB:MIC werent established to assist Researchers & Family Historians they were initially completed to maintain a Soldiers Medal Entitlement Record for the War Office,Their existence today is a bonus for us,15 years ago we didnt have the luxury of even this sometime sparse information!!!be grateful! :rolleyes:

Thanks for that.

That told me!

I was unaware (ignorant) of the reasoning behind the MIC. To my mind it was a soldier's medal entitlement and would have all medals. At least I know where not to look.

My great uncle the RSM had continuous service from about 1899 to 1920, and was in the fighting early but there is no mention of a 1914 Star or clasp.

Regards

Anthony

HarryB doesn't work there. He filled them out  :lol:

:P Ouch!!!!!!!

If he'd filled them out we'd ALL be able to understand them!!!!

Guest Ian Bowbrick
I have just managed to download two MIC of relatives. At the moment, it was a complete waste of time and money.

One relative (grandfather) was given an incorrect rank. He was listed as a private, while I have photos of him with his corporal stripes. I also have his commendation (as read out by the presenting general) and he was a Lance Corporal then. And he was missing a medal, an MM. 14511, Cpl Bertram Johnson, DCLI.

He was tranferred to the Labour Corp after being seriously wounded on the Somme. There is no mention of a War Badge either.

The other ralative (great uncle), was awarded the BWM and VM, although he was eligible (and I have photos of him wearing them) for the Queens South Africa Medal, a 1914 Star with Clasp and a Long Service Medal. RSM or WOll, William Finch, DCLI. This man was a professional soldier for over 20 years.

There were two cards for my granfather but only one for my great uncle.

I am very unimpressed with the system. Do I have to go elsewhere and pay more money to download yet more files?

Any ideas?

regards

Anthony

Anthony,

I have used this saying on the forum before and it applies in this case: 'The meat is in the medal roll!'

The medal index cards are only a means to an ends - they give you basic information about a particular individual's service and the old war office index which must be converted to a WO 329 number to access the respective medal roll. Unfortunately when the system went on line it was billed as 'Medal rolls on line' which was rubbish.

MMs are sometimes recorded on MICs, sometimes not. They do however have their own MIC system, which carries a reference to the addition of the London Gazette in which their award appeared.

You also mention a silver war badge - these too sometimes do not appear on MICs, as I have found many time with the MGC. However being seriously wounded and transeferred to the Labour Corps did not mean that someone was awarded a silver war badge - you had to be discharged under paragraph 392 of Kings Regulations for that. In addition if your relative was discharged as such, they would have to apply for the SWB and it had to be approved. I have researched a case where a man had his nose and upper jaw blown off by shrapnel - he did not have a silver war badge, most probably because he didn't feel that in his condition any women would give him a white feather for being in Civvies.

For more detialed information you need to go to the National Archives and access the medal rolls and if possible the service records in WO 363/364 or PIN 26 for the detiualed information you are looking for.

Ian

Dear Ian

Thanks for that, I shall do as suggested - better than being shouted at!

regards

Anthony