Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identifying an Artillery Shell

Guest Walkman

Hey guys, I have a shell here I would like to be identified.

It is about 7.5 inches high, and the top of it is jagged. It has a plate on the bottom of the tube, with markings.

The markings are at the very top middle, St

to the left and down from the St in a crooked position, is a G

exactly opposite from that to the right and down from the St, is 246.

To the left of the center firing pin hole (yep i really cant think of its name right now) is OKT.

To the right and opposite of that on the other side is 1917.

Directly underneath the center circle of the shell is 67% Cu

Directly under that is HL, and under that 25.

Any help?

Thanks a lot.

sounds like you have a german cartridge case manufactured in october 1917 but imsure an expert will be along soon with more information.

Dave

First, as the previous poster states, you have a German cartridge case, not a shell. The shell is the projectile that is fired, but we can understand what you have from your description.

Your case is probably from a 77x230R Feld Kanone 96 n/A, the standard German field gun of WWI. You say it has a jagged top so I suspect that it is trench art that has been shortened and made into a flower vase. The original case would have been 230mm tall if I am correct.

It was made by Haniel Leuge of Dusseldorf (HL) in October 1917 (OKT 1917). The "St" means "Stark" or strengthened case and the other marks are inspection marks.

Of course, the calibre is an informed guess but measurements of the rim diameter and a photograph of the base of the case would confirm things.

Regards

TonyE

Thanks, that is really helpful.

It is about 7.5 inches high, but again that is an estimate because of the jagged top.

And it is also about 3-3.5 inches across on the bottom.

Thanks.