Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CURIOUS PHOTO

GRANVILLE

Father Christmas delivered a copy of the 2 vol set: '1914-1918 A PICTURED HISTORY'. Thumbing through them I came across this actual photograph, presumably having been used as a book mark. The location seemed to bear no relationship to the pages it was found between, but I can't help thinking it must have meant something to someone who owned the books in the past.

Bit of a long-shot, but I wonder if the location is recognised by anyone? One of the trees looks as if its suffered damage and the area of water looks to me as if it could be a water filled shell hole, making me think that someone has taken a photo of this particular location during a return visit to the area after the war?

Dave

post-23614-0-33219500-1324834237.jpg

Assuming that it is indeed a shell hole and WW1 period. I could take a similar photo within walking distance (especially after the gales and rain we've had recently) and the last major fighting round here was between the Catuvellauni and the Romans in the time of Claudius.

Gentlemen - a Merry Christmas to you all. I know it will look as if I've set myself up for a good ridiculing, as I'm the first to admit the photo could be of anywhere and quite possibly not even in France. I did say it was 'a long-shot', not dissimilar to doing the Lottery every week, whereby if you don't do it, you're never likely to win, similarly if I don't ask I'm never likely to know.

I rather thought a big clue concerned the publication it was found in; to give it its full title: 'WORLD WAR 1914-1918, A PICTURED HISTORY'. This was published to mark the 20th anniversary of the war and I have no doubts many men; having recovered sufficiently both mentally and physically, took the opportunity to return to locations that were still ingrained in their memories for good or ill. The photo in question has a distinct 1930's look to it, and was quite probably DIY developed. To suggest a water filled shell hole is somewhat misleading on my part, as frankly the area of water looks large enough to possibly have been the result of a mine - or pond dependent on your point of view. Visually, the subject matter is utterly meaningless, a bunch of broken trees in winter (no foliage), and an area of water on a hill - I cannot imagine why anyone would photograph the scene unless it meant something particular to them. On the skyline to the left can just be made out a line of what could be a field wire fence, or maybe the remains of a string of wire screw pickets?

It is a very big long-shot, but I just wondered if any of the battlefield walkers thought they recognized the topography.

Dave

looks like a coal dump in the background, maybe Loos area

Cheers Egbert

Here's a better copy of the photo concerned (well it looked better until I posted it!).

post-23614-0-64847700-1324912192.jpg

Where you there? :whistle:

Assuming that it is indeed a shell hole and WW1 period. I could take a similar photo within walking distance (especially after the gales and rain we've had recently) and the last major fighting round here was between the Catuvellauni and the Romans in the time of Claudius.

Are the trees any help? can we identify a type and possible rate of growth? Most photo's I have seen of the WF look totally treeless, if this is a photo taken of a place where someone fought (possibly?) might new trees be starting to grow again - might there be certain areas where certain species of tree grow - if they are more established maybe they survived the fighting and that could help identify somewhere?

Additionally I think the horizon line is a road with a building on the left hand side, it looks like farmland and the water maybe a small lake or large pond?

personally I have no idea.

Seany

Cheers Egbert

Here's a better copy of the photo concerned (well it looked better until I posted it!).

Are the trees any help? can we identify a type and possible rate of growth? Most photo's I have seen of the WF look totally treeless, if this is a photo taken of a place where someone fought (possibly?) might new trees be starting to grow again - might there be certain areas where certain species of tree grow - if they are more established maybe they survived the fighting and that could help identify somewhere?

Additionally I think the horizon line is a road with a building on the left hand side, it looks like farmland and the water maybe a small lake or large pond?

personally I have no idea.

Seany

I've let a chap I know who knows a good deal about trees etc take a look at the image. He tells me that the tree in the centre ground next to the water is almost certainly Willow, and those to the left are Larch. He knew nothing of my interest in the photo, but surmises that the trees are all showing round 20yrs of growth and that the Willow has clearly been damaged at some point in time as the remains of the original trunk are just visible, but new growth is springing from its base. There is a shattered tree also visible, which at some point in time has lost most of its upper growth. Willow likes moist conditions, so if the area of water was caused by a mine detonation, then it is highly probable the crater would fill with water. Its my belief that somewhere out there is the site of a particular mine detonation which meant enough to the photographer to go back about 20yrs later and take this otherwise unremarkable photograph.

Dave