Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German or Turkish soldier?

trajan

Hi,

Came across this on a Turkish web-site, The hat and belt look German (to me!), but the collar badges?

Trajan

post-69449-0-11987500-1324752432.jpg

...Came across this on a Turkish web-site, The hat and belt look German (to me!), but the collar badges?

Must be the Christmas effect... After 52 views no comment on this one yet? Or is the answer so obvious to all you uniform/badge guys that it deserves no comment?:wacko: C'mon lads and lassies, a little help please!!!

Perplexed (and intrigued) Trajan

Postwar German Freikorps. The collar badges are of the Deutsche Schutz-Division. http://www.axishisto...dex.php?id=5789

Thanks! Are such photo's rare? Following the link you kindly provided it seems that the Deutsche Schutz-Division had a pretty short life!

Trajan

Thanks! Are such photo's rare? Following the link you kindly provided it seems that the Deutsche Schutz-Division had a pretty short life!

I would say that Freikorps photos in general and photos of specfic units in particular are more rare than photos from the Great War. The Freikorps units were smaller and existed for only a short time, compared to imperial German army units. Also, the German Civil War was a period of incredible chaos and unrest, when soldiers didn't have the opportunity to sit for the formal portraits as in the Great War.

It took me weeks to find this photo for a book.

post-7020-0-40935800-1325025326.jpg

I would say that Freikorps photos in general and photos of specfic units in particular are more rare than photos from the Great War. ... It took me weeks to find this photo for a book.

Thanks again, Tom, for your comments. Suffice to say that I went ahead and bought this one, and I will hang on to it until I can find it a suitable home. Incidentally, being intrigued by your comment about rarity I did a search and found another that I have PM'd you (with details), as this seems to be an area of special interest to you.

Best wishes,

Trajan

PS: Love the photo for the book!