Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt A J Robinson, 55 Sqn, killed 25/09/18

wwrsimon

Hello everyone

Firstly, let me wish everyone a Merry Christmas, and a very happy, healthy and prosperous 2012.

Secondly, can anyone add any details to the above casualty? His CWGC entry does not any first names, only that he was a Second Lieutenant with 55 Sqn, and was killed on September 25th 1918. He is buried at Chaumieres, and commemorated on the Obelisk at the Wesleyan Methodist Church, Hetton-le-Hole, County Durham (again, only with his initials).

Many thanks for looking.

Regards

Simon

2Lt Arthur James Robinson, pilot, LIA flying DH4 D8413 on a bombing raid to Kaiserlautern. The unit lost 4 machines on that raid and another 2 seriously damaged. I live near Hetton, which was a small mining village during WWI, and it's interesting that there was another local casualty, Sgt Wilfred Gibson from Easington Lane - the next pit village to Hetton. Gibson died in an accident in Dolphin E4665 of 91 Sqn, the machine broke up a he performed aerobatics. Being UK-based, Gibson's body was returned home for burial.

Many thanks Mick, both for the info on Richardson, and the extra info about Gibson. He was another one I was missing details for, so thank you for filling in the gaps!

Regards

Simon

Keith Rennles' "Independent Force. The War Diary of the Daylight Squadrons of the Independent Air Force June - November 1918" (pp.146-147) has the following information about Robinson & his observer 2/Lt. H.R. Burnett:

"According to some casualty lists, 2Lt A.J. Robinson and 2Lt H.R. Burnett were killed in action on this raid in DH4 D8413 [the one referred to above]. All bomb raid reports list the twelve crews as above, and no mention is made in the narratives of these two Officers. In fact Arthur James Robinson aged twenty-one, and Herbert Roy Burnett both died while on a reconnaissance mission. Burnett was a holder of the Military Medal. They were buried at Chambieres Cemetery. This was the only aircraft lost on a reconnaissance mission while 55 Squadron were operating as part of the newly formed R.A.F. Robinson called his aircraft 'Khaki Lizzie'.

"ARTHUR JAMES ROBINSON from Wood Lead, Hetton-le-Hole in County Durham, started the war as a motorcycle despatch rider and mechanic at Farnborough in November 1915. From Farnborough he moved to Roth Camp in Ireland in December. He seems to have stayed as a despatch rider until joining B Flight No.1 Cadet Wing probably in 1917 before going onto 6 Squadron R.F.C. at St. Leonards-on-Sea. From here he went to 46 Training Squadron where he had his first flight on 25th February 1918. On 26th June he left 46 and went to No.1 Fighting School at Turnberry. From here he reported to the Air Ministry on 24th July with 2Lt Dunn (also killed on the 25th) and sailed from Southampton on the Archimedes which was loaded with American troops and aircraft. Arriving at I.A.F. Headquarters on 28th July, he was sent back to R.A.F. Headquarters in Paris. On 31st July he arrived back at I.A.F. Headquarters and was sent to Azelot. Upon arriving he hoped he would get 55 Squadron, as he had heard chances of survival would be better and they seemed to have had all the luck. He and Dunn joined 55, where Robinson shared a room with 2Lt Ernest Albert Brownhill who was killed two days later, a sobering thought for a new arrival.

"HERBERT ROY BURNETT was born on 13th July 1895 in London. He joined the Royal Air Force as a cadet, but was turned down for pilot training on 4th May 1918. Applying for observer training he was successful and received his wing on 23rd August 1918 at Eastchurch. Two days later he arrived at Azelot to join 55. His address given at the time was "Fairmead", Beaulieu Villas, Finsbury Park, London."

Hope this is of interest.

Hi Jim,

In your information on A J Robinson, re " Roth Camp Ireland "

Would you have any information on the location of this camp in Ireland and its purpose.

Regards.

Mick.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 years later...

Thank you all (9 years later) for your questions and information about Arthur Robinson. He was my great uncle - my grandmother never got over his loss and my parents named me after him on her behalf (she died in 1988).

Arthur's papers are now in the IWM (deposited around 1997 by his nephew Michael Robinson). I have a photocopy (provided by the IWM at the time) and a collection of his things - a couple of wing badges, a set of RFC cards with all but one cards present, a volume of Ruskin with an inscription to him and a Longfellow poem transcribed on the front sheet, and a collection of post-cards he collected (some of which are a bit racey - there's a shell descending on some one crawling on all fours with the legend 'That 16 inch sensation.'

The IWM collection has letters from 1915, when he joined the RFC as you say as a dispatch rider, through to his KIA/MIA report in Septebmer 1918. His log book and a collection of photographs, including of DH4s and tanks, and many pictures of Arthur, his batman and his navigator.

I tried to research him a little in the National Archives when I was passed the box of photocopied papers in 1997 and drew quite a lot of blanks. It's great to see the reference to the book you mention in the thread above. I've ordered a copy and will see if I can do some more sleuthing.

Thanks again.

Arthur