Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA Patches

mark holden

I am seeking help and information on the two cloth patches in the framed group. They were at one time stitched to a uniform based on the evidence of stitch holes around the edges. Could anyone identify if they were general RFA patches or denote a specifice RFA Bde/Regiment or battery? The Xmas Card is for the 18th Division which is the only other clue.

Many thanks and Merry Xmas Mark

close up

post-11424-0-84202300-1324650360.jpg

post-11424-0-09046800-1324650419.jpg

Hi Mark,

I'm not sure, I'd suspect they were pretty generic corps level type flashes, maybe for someone at brigade or higher as they are the standard colours and format for the Royal Artillery and wouldn't do much in the field to distinguish you from all the other gun pits - maybe on an signallers or runners/dispatch riders tunic when you are away from the battery. Just some speculation, I'm sure an expert will be along soon to smite me. :glare:

Thanks very much Scott. regards Mark

• 3 weeks later...

I suspect they could be RFA Brigade patches. I'm afraid I don't know what patches were worn by RFA Brigades in the 18th Division though. 8th Division RFA Brigade patches (from the divisional history), for example, comprised a pair of circles of different colours depending on the brigade.

All the best

Steve