Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen Elizabeth class battleship Jutland damage

RodB

Below are two photographs from the IWM, identified as of a Queen Elizabeth class ship after the Battle of Jutland, showing shell damage. Can anybody identify the ship(s) ? As I understand it, Warspite, Barham and Malaya sustained damage at Jutland. I think the first may be Warspite.

Queen_Elizabeth_class_ship_Jutland_battle_damage_1916_IWM_Q_23212.jpg

Queen_Elizabeth_class_ship_Jutland_damage_1916_IWM_Q_23216.jpg

Another source might be http://www.oldweather.org/ although they are primarily concerend with weather reports they do seem to have access to a lot of ships logs from the war and after so might be able to do look ups. A quick glance and I see that they have transcribed some post war logs of Warspite so they might have others.

try the Merseyside Maritime Museum.

There's a chap there who is celebrated as an 'expert' on the Battle of Jutland. Sadly, I don't know his name.

World famous on Merseyside :whistle:

The lower photo would appear to be of Warspite. The top one might be also, but I'm away from my sources.

Simon

Thank you gentlemen... seems like the opinion is that they are both Warspite.

Thank you gentlemen... seems like the opinion is that they are both Warspite.

I think so too - in my copy of the enormous coffee-table book "Fighting Ships 1850 - 1950", there is a print of an RN watercolour of HMS Warspite marked up with the hits received at Jutland, in red for portside and green for starboard.

Both pics appear to correspond to portside hits - the first forward of the first 6" casemate and 'A' mounting, about level with the breakwater, and the second abeam of 'Y' mounting.

Regards,

MikB

Are you saying that the IWM's identification of "A" turret (i.e. seen from starboard) for the second photo is incorrect, that we are in fact looking at "Y" turret from the port side ? The IWM caption for the second photo reads ""A" turret on board a QUEEN ELIZABETH class battleship in dry dock showing damage caused by German shellfire at the battle of Jutland".

Rod

Definitely "Y" turret, viewed from Port. I used the same drawing MikB is referring to, albeit from a pamphlet with diagrams of every other British ship damaged at Jutland included in it, accompanied by detailed descriptions of the damage sustained.

Simon

Are you saying that the IWM's identification of "A" turret (i.e. seen from starboard) for the second photo is incorrect, that we are in fact looking at "Y" turret from the port side ? The IWM caption for the second photo reads ""A" turret on board a QUEEN ELIZABETH class battleship in dry dock showing damage caused by German shellfire at the battle of Jutland".

Rod

I'm afraid so. Either that, or the RN's drawing is wrong.

There's no sign of a breakwater on deck about midway down the gun barrels, as there would be if it were 'A' mounting.

Regards,

MikB

Thank you gentlemen, I've also looked at some other photos of the class and port side it appears to be. I used to email the IWM with corrections and a nice bloke used to thank me and correct the online caption. Now they ignore feedback so I don't bother.

Rod