Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MEDAL PRECEDENCE

bingbong

which medal has precedence , the DSO or the MC

The DSO is the badge of the Distinguished Service Order and is not, strictly, a medal or a decoration. As such it precedes almost anything except the VC. The MC is a decoration. Think that is right.

The DSO comes within the generic grouping for medals, but as David has pointed out it is an Order rather than a campaign medal.

That aside, the DSO comes before the MC and all campaign medals.:thumbsup:

The DSO comes within the generic grouping for medals, but as David has pointed out it is an Order rather than a campaign medal.

That aside, the DSO comes before the MC and all campaign medals.:thumbsup:

but after Orders of a higher order, as it were.

but after Orders of a higher order, as it were.

Correct :thumbsup:

The DSO is a little unusual in that it can be awarded for good service over a period and also for specific acts of gallantry, these latter generally to commissioned officers of the rank of captain and below. More senior officers tend to have general citations, rather than specific ones.

I posted this Click on another thread recently; it gives (I believe complete for all the orders, awards, medals, decorations, etc. available at the time) the order of precedence in July 1918.

NigelS

Correct :thumbsup:

The DSO is a little unusual in that it can be awarded for good service over a period and also for specific acts of gallantry, these latter generally to commissioned officers of the rank of captain and below. More senior officers tend to have general citations, rather than specific ones.

I cannot agree with the junior officers bit....... both for the Great War and since. Like most generalisations, it overstates the case.

I cannot agree with the junior officers bit....... both for the Great War and since. Like most generalisations, it overstates the case.

Basically, you will rarely find a DSO awarded to a junior officer with a general citation.:thumbsup:

Basically, you will rarely find a DSO awarded to a junior officer with a general citation.:thumbsup:

Please note that my comments only apply to the Great War.

This from the MOD official web site ......

The Distinguished Service Order (DSO) was instituted originally to reward junior officers in the Army for distinguished service or acts of gallantry against the enemy. While the Order of the Bath had been available for senior officers and the Distinguished Conduct Medal for the other ranks, no award below the level of the Victoria Cross (VC) had existed for junior officers. The DSO was also made available to junior officers of the other services.

After the 1993 review, the DSO ceased to be awarded for gallantry - replaced by the new all service, all ranks Conspicuous Gallantry Cross at the level below

the VC. Although theoretically available to all ranks, the DSO, now awarded for distinguished leadership during active operations against the enemy, is likely to be awarded only to the more senior officers ranks.

Or the Medal Yearbook:

" ...... to reward commissioned officers below field rank for distinguished service in time of war ........"

The emboldening is mine.

See also British Gallantry Awards by Abbott and Tamplin which in no way conflict with the above.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone spends some time looking at the LG, I think it is correct that fewer junior officers have a general citation.