Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres souvenir locket

paul@bolton

A friend has the medals of Pte S Croft - service number 109484 - of the Liverpool regiment, along with a small metal locket containing a series of eight photographs entitled 'Le Bombardement d'Ypres 1914-1916'.

Can anyone tell me if this was on general sale or would he have had to have bought it in Belgium?

I will try to post some photos later if this is of interest.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Paul

I will try to post some photos later if this is of interest.

Paul

I'm afraid I can't help with the query, but photos would certainly be interesting.

Roger

An interesting souvenir. I would guess bought in Belgium.

Roger

A very sweet wee locket, I bid on one very similar to this via an online auction two years ago.

Is there a hallmark on it that could be traced.

Wendy

Wendy,

There is no hallmark - I doubt if it is silver.

Out of interest, how much was the locket on the online auction? I do not think this is for sale but it would be nice if I could tell my friend the approximate value.

Does anyone else have any information? Anyone seen one of these before?

Paul

Hi Paul

If I remember rightly the locket sold for fifty odd dollars, I remember bidding up to twenty eight dollars and thinking that was an arm and a leg ~ how things change. I tried looking back on the auction site to find the listing (trademe) but couldn't find it. I have found a similar one on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-Locket-YPRES-/290612412794 . Reading about this locket on the Internet they say they are silver plated over brass and typically the silver plate has flaked off, perhaps due to the workmanship at the time. I googled "YPRES LOCKET" and quite a bit came up.

Wendy