Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Soldier Edwin A Price

BrendanLee

I am researching people killed in Ireland during the War ofIndependence. I found an article in the Irish Times relating to the shooting ofEdwin A Price who was shot dead in The Diamond Hotel in the Diamond area of Londonderryon the 19th of June 1920. The article states that Price was aCanadian Soldier.

Is there any way I can find out if Price was a CanadianSoldier, the article does not give any details of his military history, isthere any way I can find any information on his service, it does say he wasvisiting his brother I Belfast.

I have tried Veterans Affaire of Canada website and the CWGCsite but could find no information.

That's not your man! He wasn't Canadian.

I found this from the Londonderry Sentinal:

THE discovery of a World War I artefact in Buncrana, Co. Donegal, has demonstrated the strong links between unionist and nationalist soldiers who died in the 1914-18 conflict.

As the 92nd anniversary of the Somme was commemorated in Londonderry yesterday, the unearthing of an inscribed shell from World War I reveals a tale that ironically ended in deadly gunfire at the Diamond in 1920.

Last year, the remnants of a shell were dug up from a garden in Castle Park in the nearby town of Buncrana. How it got there still remains a mystery, but what was etched into the side of it tells a tale of unity between Irish born soldiers fighting for Britain.

The shell case, later turned into a watering can, has inscribed references to Thiepval and the 16th Irish Division, the nationalist division hailing mainly from southern Ireland and the 36th Ulster Division, regarded as the Protestant and loyalist soldiery from Northern Ireland.

As well as this the shell has inscribed into its side a drawing of a harp with a pair of hands, shaking hand another hand, thought to be symbolic of the red hand of Ulster.

All the etchings are enclosed in a heart, symbolising unity between nationalists and unionists who fought the brutal and bloody battles of World War I.

Londonderry historian, Trevor Temple, was made aware of the artefact by Paul Quigley, the Buncrana man who discovered it and who later donated it to the Holywell Trust who conduct in-depth research into Londonderry's war dead.

Yet, the story is far from over at this point. Also inscribed on the shell was the name EA Price and his Army number 54652.

Trevor Temple's research into the number revealed the man's name was Edwin Price who had returned from America at the outbreak of hostilities and enlisted in the Ulster Division, Royal Army Medical Corps.

Having survived the War, Edwin Price returned to Londonderry and took up residence in the Diamond Hotel.

On June 19, 1920, six people died in Londonderry during civil disturbances, amongst them was Edwin Price.

Trevor Temple told the Sentinel: "This story is very ironic. The two traditions had come together to fight a common enemy. He had survived the war, it turns out he was shot dead on the streets of his own city by unionists firing at nationalists."

The Sentinel reported that as shooting broke out between unionists and nationalists: "Mr Edwin Price was shot. He had come to the door of the hotel, when a bullet struck him in the abdomen. After penetrating his body, the shot pierced a two-inch door and embedded itself in the woodwork inside."

Edwin A Price sailed from New York and arrived in Glasgow on 27th December 1914.

He gave his age as 40 and profession as Book Keeper. His country of permanent residence was USA.

He travelled 3rd class aboard the Anchor Line ship Ausonia.

He gave his final destination as c/o Alf Price, Queens Square, Londonderry, Ireland.

From Dublin Fusilliers:

The ship was named the "Tortona" when she was launched on 18 Aug 1909 by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson, Wallsend-on-Tyne (engines by Palmers Co., Ltd, Jarrow). She was originally owned by the Thomson Line, and had a length 450.6ft x beam 54.2ft, one funnel, four masts, twin screw, speed 12 knots,plus accommodation for 37 1st class and 1,000 3rd class passengers.She sailed on 22 Oct 1909 from Middlesbrough for Quebec and Montreal. On 20 Nov 1909 she left Montreal for Quebec, Naples, Genoa and Leghorn and in March 1910 made her first Naples - Portland voyage. She later sailed between Naples, Quebec and Montreal and between London, Quebec and Montreal. In 1911 she was sold to the Cunard SS Co and renamed "Ausonia";.Used on their new London - Southampton - Quebec - Montreal service until August 1914 when she was chartered to Anchor Line and made four Glasgow - Moville - New York voyages after which she returned to Cunard's Canada service.

The Ausonia took the 1st Royal Dublin Fusiliers from UK to Lemnos in April 1915.

Ironically she was used by 1st Royal Dublin Fusiliers in their evacuation from Gallipoli in Jan 1916

The Ausonia was torpedoed without warning and sunk by gunfire by U 55, 620 miles W by S (true) from Fastnet on 30 May 1918 with 44 lives lost.

post-51557-0-81468100-1324498828.jpg

to add to the excellent work by Sandie

1901 census

http://www.census.na...Street/1533081/

There are 2 public trees on Ancestry for Edwin. His brother Albert appears to have lived in Buncrana 1911-1914. Albert's son was born in Buncrana in 1918.

1911 census for Albert

http://www.census.na...uncrana/491791/

Name:Edwin Andrew Price

Birth Date:5 Feb 1872

Birth Place:Londonderry, Ireland

Father's Name:Hugh Price

Mother's name:Elizabeth Price

Ellis Island entry

First Name:Edwin

Last Name:Price

Ethnicity:Great Britain, Irish

Last Place of Residence:Derry

Date of Arrival:Apr 11, 1905

Age at Arrival: 33y

Marital Status: S

Ship of Travel:Astoria

Port of Departure:Londonderry

Manifest Line Number:0023

Thank you all for the very helpful information, it would appear that the newspaper report regarding him being a Canadian soldier was wrong, I suppose as he lived in New York for 9 years he had pick up an American accent and people at the Diamond Hotel incorrectly assumed he was Canadian.

Hi,

Trevor Temple is a friend of mine. I think he still has the little shell watering can. I have seen it myself.

If i recall correctly Price was probably killed by a shot from the Loyalist snipers.

The article is incorrect, he was known in the City and would not have lost his accent in that time. Just bad luck and a bit of a silly thing to do during a time when random shooting down the street was quite regular.

He had been warned to be careful. Like a lot of reporting during those few weeks when the City was a dangerous place to be it would have been second hand.

My grandparents are buried in the City cemetary next to two victims of the 1920 troubles. One is Howard McKay the son of Marshall McKay who was Govenor of the Apprentice Boys of Derry. Shot by the IRA in the Brandwell show grounds and the other is Lt Everton Bird [Dorsets], crushed between two armoured cars on Ebrington Barracks Parade Ground, while trying to jump start one with the other.

I was in touch with Lt Bird's family last year and managed to get them a photo of his grave.

The Londonderry Sentinel had lots of reports on the shootings in May/June 1920 and Trevor did some articles a few years ago.

Rob

Lt Everton Bird [Dorsets], crushed between two armoured cars on Ebrington Barracks Parade Ground, while trying to jump start one with the other.

Do you have any more on this man, I could not get him on CWGC, or Irish deaths? From what you say he appears to have been on active service?

Jdoyle

Very grateful to you, mea culpa, I was trying to find a "Lt Bird" and not a "Lt Everton". a few weeks of holiday have obviously dulled my brain :)

Interesting Christian name!

Corisande,

Sorry, thats me, kept doing that while i was searching for info on him, looking for Lt Bird.

The reason i keep getting crossed wires is i was looking for someone by the name of Bird at the same time.

I think his Christian name comes from a family surname. Unfortunately i gave the family the newspaper cuttings i had found.

During the troubles in 1920 the Dorsets lost a couple of guys and for a time they must have had a post on the City walls over Bishop gate, which is an interface between the two sides.

On the castletion on the walls a Dorset soldier carved their badge into the stone. It is still there but very difficult to decipher. Its about the size of a large dinnerplate.

If you want i can get an e-mail address for the family?

Rob

Thanks Mark and Rob

I have my notes on him now on click this link

I later found various web references to the "Bird" name in his family, but my point was that it was not your fault for putting "Lt Bird", I should have been able to find him from assuming a mistake and transposing, anyway jdoyle worked it out :) Keeps us all sharp!

His father was an RIC man who went to Isle of Wight as a prison warder, and that is all I have really found on Bird Everton before enlisting. He landed in Palestine in 1916 and was commissioned when a CSM in the Dorsets in 1917.

I would be grateful for a family email if you can PM me one

Hi,

When talking to the family they said there was an Irish connection to the family.

Interesting snippet about the soldiers loading up for the return journey.

I was there yesterday looking for one of the Halls where the Ulster Covenant was signed, just down from the Cemetery.

Corisande will send you a PM with family contact details.

Rob

• 10 months later...

I have beed fascinated by this series of posts - Edwin Andrew Price was my great Uncle - I am the grandson of his brother Albert.

As someone interested in genealogy for 40 years, I had many years ago seen the Sentinel newspaper report on Edwin's death. But I wasn't aware of half the information subsequently posted about him, such as his emigration to the USA. If anyone is at all interested in more about his background I 'd be happy to correspond.

Ron Price

Belfast