Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What rank is what?

DCLI

I am probably on the wrong forum but as I spend a lot of time here, this is where I feel most confortable. Apologies if I am wrong.

I am trying to track down my great uncle, he was the RSM for the DCLI (Old Contemptibles) spent most of the war as a POW.

I have found someone with his name and regiment but with a rank of WOll. I thought this was a CSM and that an RSM was WOl

Can anyone help?

regards

Anthony

Anthony

I have a MM and Pair to a C.S.M. the MM is to a C.S.M War and victory are named W.O. Cl. 2. Since his highest Rank attained was C.S.M. I would say you are right that A C.S.M. is WOII.

Best Regards

N.S.Regt.

I would concur with the above.

During WWI , there were two ranks of WO and I won't go into the details, but a CSM was considered a WOII and a RSM was a WOI. There were three ranks created in 1938 and now there are but two again.

DrB

I think the original question was not whether a CSM was a Warrant Officer II, but rather if his great uncle was an RSM why would he be listed as a Warrant Officer II as a POW.

Warrant Officers I an II are ranks. CSM and RSM are appointments. It is therefore very possible that he might have been a Warrant Officer II holding an appointment as an acting RSM. Once he was captured and ceased to be employed as an acting RSM he would lose the acting appointment and hold only the substantive Warrant Officer II rank. Regards. Dick

Well done. I have photos of him, after the war - he was a regular - wearing an RSM badge. Perhaps when his MIC was 'drawn up' he was a CSM and towards the end of his army career he became an RSM - the most feared man in the regiment - knocks the spots off a colonel. No offence meant, but ex ORs will know what I mean.

I think it highly unlikley that a CSM and RSM in the same regiment would have the same name.

I will go with what I have found, WOll, and pay for his MIC.

Thanks again.

Anthony

Although the question has been answered, I have one of my own.

Which came first, the appointment or the rank? Was the individual advanced to WO and then appointed CSM or was he appointed CSM and then advanced to WOII? The same question would apply to RSM. Thank you in advance.

DrB