Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New York casualty help please lads and lassies

museumtom

Ok guys and gals here is what I have; a snippet from a newspaper in February 1919 saying that Hugh Cormick (should be Hugh McCormick) died in German territory from fever while on duty with the Americans. He was 24 years of age at his death and is listed in Soldiers of the Great war as enlisting in New York and he emigrated to the USA around 1914. He is not listed in the Battle Monuments site. That's about the size of all the information I have. I do not have access to the draft cards or New York archives/records. Any help or suggestions would be very gratefully received.

Thanking you all in advance.

Kind regards.

Tom.

So, in my first go-around, I have an Ellis Island arrival record for:

First Name: Hugh

Last Name: McCormack

Ethnicity: Great Britain, Irish

Last Place of Residence: Athlone, Ireland

Date of Arrival: Aug 29, 1914

Age at Arrival: 21 Gender: M Marital Status: S

Ship of Travel: Adriatic

Port of Departure: Queenstown

Manifest Line Number: 0010

I have located a WWI Draft Registration Form for this same fellow, but he is registered in Hartford, Connecticut. Thoughts?

-Daniel

Next up, I have a WWI Draft Registration card for:

Name: Hugh Mccormack

City: Manhattan

County: New York

State: New York

Birthplace: Ireland

Birth Date: 6 Mar 1895

Race: Caucasian (White)

FHL Roll Number: 1754521

DraftBoard: 130

Can you make out the details regarding where he was born?

post-32240-0-30231600-1324425609.jpg

This fellow was at least Irish born and approximately from the right birth year and registered in New York. I can find no arrival record for him, at least through Ellis Island, anyway.

Daniel

In the New York City section of the New York state Honour roll, there is the following entry:

McCormack, Hugh.......53 ,W 98th Street, New York, NY.........Pvt.1st Cl., Co.C, 51st Pioneer Infantry....... Died of lobar pneumonia, December 19, 1918

Daniel will obviously know better than me, but I think (because I think its just a couple of blocks from where one of my own relatives lived) that W 98th Street is Manhattan (?), making this Hugh and his Manhattan Hugh from the last post likely to be the same man?

Dave

Great stuff lads and lassies, Brilliant!!. I did right to run it past ye. I reckon that is the man. Here he is in the census on 1911. I am of the impression that some of his siblings emigrated.Here he is in the census on 1911.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/results.jsp?census_year=1911&surname=mccormack&firstname=hugh&county=Westmeath&townland=&ded=&age=&sex=&search=Search&relationToHead=&religion=&education=&occupation=&marriageStatus=&birthplace=&language=&deafdumb=&marriageYears=&childrenBorn=&childrenLiving=

Thank you all very much and I am sorry I did not come back to you last night but I was Benylinned for the night, thats the Irish versions of coldy fluey nighty nighty snoozey snooze medicine. Flu is rampant here in Tipp.

Kindest regards and thanks again all!!

Tom.

Just for info regarding his unit ......

post-357-0-15147200-1324461518.jpg

In the New York City section of the New York state Honour roll, there is the following entry:

McCormack, Hugh.......53 ,W 98th Street, New York, NY.........Pvt.1st Cl., Co.C, 51st Pioneer Infantry....... Died of lobar pneumonia, December 19, 1918

Daniel will obviously know better than me, but I think (because I think its just a couple of blocks from where one of my own relatives lived) that W 98th Street is Manhattan (?), making this Hugh and his Manhattan Hugh from the last post likely to be the same man?

Dave

This is a spot-on match for the Draft Card I have. He lived at 53 West 98th Street, Manhattan...not far from my office.

Tom, all, if you would like a copy of the card just drop me a PM with your email addy.

Well done, all.

-Daniel

PS, Camp Upton is merely a stone's throw from where I sit now.

Thank you Dave, Daniel, Croonaert and everyone, this puts more bones on the man. Well done to all and may thanks for your time a patience with me with this lad.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Daniel many thanks for ally our help and kind offer of a copy of the draft card which I will be very thankful for. Please email to museumtom at hotmail.com

Believe it or not the most difficult part of this is finding where he is buried. I tried to PM you but 'computer says you cannot receive messsages.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

Daniel many thanks for ally our help and kind offer of a copy of the draft card which I will be very thankful for. Please email to museumtom at hotmail.com

Believe it or not the most difficult part of this is finding where he is buried. I tried to PM you but 'computer says you cannot receive messsages.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

Hi Tom,

Not sure what is up with my PM box...guess I need to do some spring cleaning a little early! I just emailed you the card with a few follow up questions. As always, happy to help where I can.

Take care,

-Daniel

Hello Daniel.

I have replied to your email.

Cheers.

Tom.

I'll check that now. I checked Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn's cemetery register and while there are fellow with that same name buried there, your fellow is not. He also does not come up via Find-A-Grave. Ancestry and Google are not giving much up either. Just checked the National Cemetery system database and he is not buried in a National Cemetery here in the States.

-Daniel

Tom,

Your best next step as far as I can see is to request his service details from the New York State Archives. It will cost you $1.00 to get that.

New York State Archives - Requesting Service Records

Now that you have his specific details, they should be able to locate him in their files. Just complete the form via the link, send them a check and cross your fingers. Worst case scenario, if they cannot find anything you will get your dollar back.

:blush:

Good luck!

-Daniel

Hello Daniel.

This the difficult part, can they change an Irish $1 cheque in New York? Can I get and Irish $1 cheque here? If there was a paypal or creditcard option I would be there in a heartbeat. On that page it does not say that it gives the burial details of casualties which is a bit of a bummer.

As we say here 'let the hair settle' for a bit and work out other options.

Many thanks for all your help, that is a very handy site if the payment methods were a bit more user friendly.

Kind regards.

Tom.

• 1 month later...

Hi Tom,

I took the liberty of ordering his file for you:

post-32240-0-72578400-1328845075.jpg

I hope it helps with your research.

Take care,

Daniel

PS: If you would like a full size scan please PM me an email address and I'll send it along

• 3 years later...

So, in my first go-around, I have an Ellis Island arrival record for:

First Name: Hugh

Last Name: McCormack

Ethnicity: Great Britain, Irish

Last Place of Residence: Athlone, Ireland

Date of Arrival: Aug 29, 1914

Age at Arrival: 21 Gender: M Marital Status: S

Ship of Travel: Adriatic

Port of Departure: Queenstown

Manifest Line Number: 0010

I have located a WWI Draft Registration Form for this same fellow, but he is registered in Hartford, Connecticut. Thoughts?

-Daniel

Hi all,

After a brief hiatus :) I am reexamining this fellow. I am looking once more at his arrival record; Tom, does the name of the father here match up with your fellow?

post-32240-0-47505500-1430175425_thumb.j

The record also lists a sister:

post-32240-0-50460500-1430175448_thumb.j

Thoughts?

As an aside, his final resting place continues to elude me!

-Daniel

Hello Daniel, yes indeed, that's his father.

I have not located his burial place yet either.

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Fantastic! So, we have confirmed his arrival date aboard the Adriatic and now have the name of a sister who also lived in New York.

I am beginning to wonder, assuming he is buried in the States, if he is not buried in New Jersey. I have been checking the non-Jewish cemeteries near Manhattan (Brooklyn, thus far) and have had no luck thus far. Given his employment in New Jersey, it might be time for me to start checking cemeteries in that state. I will check the available ones in the Bronx first, as the Bronx in that time also had a sizable Irish population.

-Daniel

Thank you Daniel, you are a gentleman, and I appreciate you help.

Kind regards.

Tom.