Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Motor Machine Guns

johnnie

I picked these photos up a few weeks back but have not had a chance to share them until now.

They show a man named "Jack Smith" with one date 12/6/16 (post mark to rear Woking 14/6/16), and clearly show the "Motor Machine Guns" shoulder badge.

Only one card has a message on the rear, and this appears to have been posted to:

Mr W Gaffs

15 Windsor Terrace

South Gosforth

Newcastle on Tyne

The message reads:

"Dear Walt, Having a time of it down here the only fault it is so far from home. How is your group going on. Hear you got starved. If you had to see the troops down here you would think there was no need for more. Every nation is represented. Yours Jack"

Anyway, I was wondering if it would be possible to try and work out who "Jack Smith" was. I know it is a very common name, but I imagine his unit is quite rare. My first thought was hunting through MICs but I wasn't sure if he would be down as MGC or MMGC. I also suppose he could have served overseas with a different unit so that might not be a possible research avenue.

Any comments would be great, and somebody might find the images interesting if nothing else.

Johnnie

post-11843-0-77805600-1324206224.jpg

post-11843-0-90729600-1324206235.jpg

post-11843-0-68467000-1324206247.jpg

Great photos - and interesting that he wears the standard MGC crossed Vickers badge, rather than the MGC badge with white metal arc of the Motor Machine Gunners (below). The MMG badge reputedly predated the MGC badge.

Peter

post-29053-0-53519900-1324206836.jpg

Not reputedly; did. There is a photo of MMGS taken in August 1914 (to which I no longer have ready access) at Bisley where there is a mix of soldiers and NCOs which underlines their origins from the Royal Field Artillery. The NCOs are wearing artillery piece badges above their stripes - with the MMG rocker badge in their caps. I have not been able to determine, and sadly the expert on MGC badges passed away last year before we could determine, but the belief was that the cloth title came in after the removal of the 'MMG' from the MGC badge.

Not reputedly; did.

the belief was that the cloth title came in after the removal of the 'MMG' from the MGC badge.

To the first part - yes, I know - I was hedging my bets a little...

To the second part - interesting. Makes sense with these pics then...

Peter

Don't be surprised if he turns out to be a tankee in due course; many of those at Bisley at that time did

Another MGC badge expert of my acquaintance advises that the MGC/M metal title was authorised for wear in May 1917 (later than I thought).

Many thanks for the replies, comments, and information. He is indeed wearing MGC brass shoulder titles, and I should perhaps add that the images are much better quality than they look (I have scanned them at low res).

Out of interest the bike reg is BY2231 if that helps anybody.

Johnnie

Many thanks for the replies, comments, and information. He is indeed wearing MGC brass shoulder titles, and I should perhaps add that the images are much better quality than they look (I have scanned them at low res).

Out of interest the bike reg is BY2231 if that helps anybody.

Johnnie

Do you know if he survived the war?

I'm afraid I don't. All I know is that the cards are dated 1916 and that his name was Jack Smith.

I was hoping that members might be able to help me work out who he is, although it might be hard due to his name.

Johnnie

Here is an example of the cloth S/T.

regards

Mark

post-11424-0-66991800-1324285649.jpg

A basic search on MICs for the name smith and MMG brings up three men which might fit:

J J Smith, 79630, MMGC

J B Smith, 11742, Durham Depot att. to MMGC

J C Smith, 848, Eaton MMGC

I suppose as the second chap would seem to have come from the north (being DLI) he might be a good option, but if he was only attached would he have had the MMGC badges on?

Also, if he did move to the MGC or the Tank Corps and went overseas with that unit his MIC could be with a different unit so I could be barking up the wrong tree I guess.

I have a feeling this may be a chap we can never fully pin down (unless other photos of him survive).

Johnnie

The attached picture may be of interest - shows a MMGS gentlemen wearing everything ; cloth title, metal shoulder title and MMG cap badge. Man is unidentified but card has 1916 pencilled in on back.

post-48620-0-60492300-1324575337.jpg

Not wishing to co-opt the discussion but I would be interested in comments on the attached. The picture is of 1558 GNR E. Gaunt who served in 1 AC Brigade, MGC (Motors) in Egypt and Palestine before going to France in 1918. If you look at the close-up, his shoulder insignia appears to be 'MMGS'. I have never seen a brass title with "MMGS" nor is one listed in Westlake. Any thoughts?? The cap badge was Gaunt's.

post-48620-0-03431300-1324575866.jpg

post-48620-0-78899200-1324575882.jpg

post-48620-0-23396700-1324575902.jpg

The attached picture may be of interest - shows a MMGS gentlemen wearing everything ; cloth title, metal shoulder title and MMG cap badge. Man is unidentified but card has 1916 pencilled in on back.

Exellent photo, thanks for showing it. JG