Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French Medal Display

Rob Bulloch

Hello to the forum, I am just about to mount and frame this Great War French medal group, I thought I would make sure I have them in the proper order.

Thanks in advance.. Aye Rob.

post-56-0-17397200-1324205254.jpg

Hi Rob, I'm not sure whether these 5 French medals are attributable to a particular individual. Perhaps you have the paperwork showing provenance?

If not, how about obtaining the full set of French awarded medals for WW1 and then mount & frame them all up together. Now that would be an impressive sight to see!

Only a suggestion of course! As for your inquiry, I'm afraid I'm not sure which order they all go in, but I'm sure someone will be along real soon to guide you!

Regards, Andrew

Thanks for your reply Andrew. The medals are attributed to "John Doe" or should I say "John Pierre Doe" an fictitious French soldier. Perhaps a volunteer in 1914, took part in some major battles, was wounded and returned to his Regiment, was found unfit for active duties, volunteered for the Red Cross and survived the war.. It is only a representation of what a French soldier could have been awarded. I did the same thing with a Belgian group. I will post a photograph of them later.

None of the two displays will ever be attributed to an individual soldier.

Thanks again for your post.

Aye Rob.

This is the Belgian display I did. And as I mentioned it is not to any individual soldier, just a representation.

Aye Rob.

post-56-0-31638900-1324234060.jpg

Thanks for that Khaki.

Aye Rob.

Rob

I have several framed attributed groups all with the Combattants Cross on the far right; the Victory and Campaign medals are in different orders though

Chris

Rob.

Half way down this page ... LINK ... is an image of the medals issued to the NoK of Cpl Peugeot (1st French death of the war) after the war ... same order as yours apart from a reversal of the War and Victory medals (and I'm uncertain as to whether the combattants cross should actually be an that particular group at all as I couldn't find Peugeot on the register)

Dave

The order of precedence is a nightmare but I think Dave is right about the reversal of the Victory and War.

This is part of my collection I originally put together as a quiz, everyone welcome to have a go.

post-11859-0-46661200-1324293139.jpg

Auchonvillerssomme.Dave.Chris.Andrew and Khaki.

Thank you all for your input. Dave thank you for that very interesting link, I will change over the War Medal and the Victory Medal.

Auchonvillerssomme. Nice collection of French Medals thank you for posting the photograph.

Aye Rob.

If I recall correctly, the Victory medal takes precedanceover the war medal in the French order of wear.

jermil

Is there an official French order of precedence? I've looked and I know someone else on here has also investigated in depth but we are unable to find one. Even looking at pictures of officers and men wearing medals they seem a bit all over the place.

on a related tack, does anyone have or know of something, anything, anywhere which gives a list of the order in which ALL decorations should be worn or cited?

I have a lot of men who have US, French, German, Turkish, Russian, British medals and have no idea in which order they ought to be listed.

Foreign awards to British service personnel are worn at the end of all decorations conferred by the crown. A serving member of the forces would need permission from the monarch to wear foreign decorations. This is a good example.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31855/supplements/4225

Foreign awards to British service personnel are worn at the end of all decorations conferred by the crown. A serving member of the forces would need permission from the monarch to wear foreign decorations. This is a good example.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31855/supplements/4225

Unfortunately, none of these men are British.

Is there an official French order of precedence? I've looked and I know someone else on here has also investigated in depth but we are unable to find one. Even looking at pictures of officers and men wearing medals they seem a bit all over the place.

hello auchonvillerssomme,

Think this order of precedence is very helpful

Jef

http://www.france-ph...com/accueil.htm

hello auchonvillerssomme,

Think this order of precedence is very helpful

Jef

http://www.france-ph...com/accueil.htm

Hello again,

Saw my link is not very detailed. Please open the pages ANNEXES, second page

happy newyear,

Jef

That is really useful, thank you very much.