Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Bn Yorks and Lancs

munchkin

Private William Harrison Kia 01/07/1916 is one of my relatives.

I was wondering where abouts on the Somme, the Bn was on this date.

Glynn.

Thanks Phil,

Also he is buried there at PIER and Face 14 A and 14B. Can you shed some light on this for me please.

Glynn.

They were attacking Thiepval and had 11 officers and 282 men killed that day. Phil B

The attack took place south of Thiepval and north of Ovillers (see attached map). They attacked with the 8/KOYLI and the leading waves cleared the German front line and entered the second line. Because of the heavy casualties (635, including the wounded) the assault ended here and a withdrawal was enforced.

Dave.

post-2-1090974736.jpg

Thanks Phil,

Also he is buried there at PIER and Face 14 A and 14B. Can you shed some light on this for me please.

Glynn.

Glynn.

This isn't his place of burial. It's the reference to find his name on the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing. His actual grave location (if he has one!) is unknown. If you look at the CWGC website, you can find a plan of the memorial and work out the location from this. (The "PIER" is a "leg" of the memorial and the "faces" are which side of this leg his name is on. (under his regiment, and alphabetically listed in descending rank order).

Dave.

The attack took place south of Thiepval and north of Ovillers

...and here's a trenchmap extract ,from June 1916, showing the positions that the 8/Y&L held, and attacked on 1st July...

Dave.

post-2-1090975579.jpg

Thanks Phil,

I realise now what the monument is for. At first i did'nt know it was for soldiers that were missing or had no known grave. (Very Sad).

Thanks

Glynn.

Thanks Dave,

These map's are invaluable to me. I have just found out that William Harrison was related to me, and not knowing much (yet), about the Yorks & Lancs, this gives me a great starting point.

Thanks again

Glynn.

Dave, Can I request the source of your first map, please?

It's from the Official "History of the Great War - Military Operations in France and Belgium" 1916 volume 1 - maps.

Dave.